Monday, January 26, 2009

Come on up!

Hello Monday fans! How come after a relatively quiet weekend, I feel exhausted? Ok, not exhausted, EXHAUSTED!!! Is this going to represent the entire week? If so, we may be in for a little bit of trouble. Move on - it's just one day! One day. Don't let it trick you. 

Ok - 'come on up' - so many know what this means. Grandma, for as long as I can remember has been hard of hearing, bless her. I think, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that we have all inherited this gene from Jeannie and it is starting to become more noticeable. My dad also had this, and I would often get in trouble with a common phrase that sounded something that like this; "Jesus Christ child, stop mumbling" - oddly enough everyone else could hear what I was saying. Please don't be offended by the 'JC' - it was a common term in our home that we all still laugh about to this day. Oh dad and grandma - you have given us so many great things to laugh about. 
So back to 'come on up'. Grandma lived in a great apartment that had the buzzer to let you in. When anyone went over and buzzed, without her even knowing exactly who it was, we would hear on the speaker - 'Come on Up!!!'. She was always waiting at her door for whoever was on the way up, with the biggest grin. I can still picture her now. If she wasn't dressed to the nines, which I always thought she was - she would comment on her 'shirt tales' and say something like 'Hello Shirl, come on in. How come you brought such a big bag'. So funny.

Tonight I am making the Chicken Vegetable Bake. I am in the process of browning the chicken. I may be doing something wrong b/c it is taking forever. I guess I don't really brown chicken - so wasn't sure what to expect. I think that I should have committed to this dish on Friday or Saturday as it is still going to take an hour and a bit to cook. And, while I wait, I will probably have a slice or two of pumpernickel bread - with this olive oil margarine that I shouldn't have, but I heart it. 

Dinner is in the oven, I repeat - dinner is in the oven (I will post Chris' rating in yesterday's entry). Now all I have to do is wait for another hour and a 1/4. In that time, I need to do a load of laundry, make the rice, a salad and tidy up. Please don't be jealous of this exciting life. As I sit and write this, this is what I see to my left. They don't like to leave me alone for long. PS - look on the counter - that's the marg - don't judge me.


I almost forgot! Dinner at Bruce's was great! He cooked an amazing Chicken Chili, a wonderful salad and a trifle for dessert. The recipe for the chili will be posted soon I'm sure, I can't wait to cook it up. His recipes came from the Silver Palate cookbook - two more I plan to add to my cookbook library (not really a library, but it sounds fancy). He liked the chocolate chip cookies I brought - there are some sitting on the counter beside the margarine - seriously, that could be my dinner and dessert - run.

I hope that you all had a fantastic Monday - and that you are loving the one(s) you're with. Tomorrow is a new start for me - more to come - I can already feel the wind in my face.

Loves.

Enjoy! 
 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog,and am so excited to try some of your recipes!!
You rock the frying pan girlfriend!!