Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dear Slow-cooker, I love you.

I really do.  My sister bought me a deluxe slow cooker a couple of years ago, but I haven't really used it - not because I don't think it's practical or didn't have the recipes to use, but because leaving it alone plugged in made me nervous. After a lot of encouragement and getting over potential paranoia, I decided to just go for it.  In the past week and a half, I have made 3 meals. It's so easy!!! SO EASY!!!  It may be my new best friend. 

Working days are busy. Rush in the morning, busy at work, rush home, walk the dogs, and then start dinner. Dinner usually is done by 7. For me, that is late. Chris is usually home around 8:45 - so if I didn't mind eating so late, it would be perfect. I just really look forward to down time. Love the down time.

Tonight's dish was super easy. I prepared some of it last night and then put the rest in this morning before heading to work. Not sure what to call it - Sweet Potatoes with Chicken and Tomatoes.

Sweet Potatoes with Chicken and Tomatoes

12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large onion - sliced into thin wedges
2 large sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
Oregano
Kosher salt and pepper 

The night before prepare your sweet potatoes. Put them in a bowl and cover with water to keep them from browning. Slice onion and store in ziploc bag or plastic container.
The next morning, add onion to the slow cooker, then the chicken, sweet potatoes and then top with tomatoes. Add oregano and salt and pepper and stir.
Cover and put in on low or auto and let your new best friend do the work.
6-8 hours is plenty of time for the dish to be fully cooked. 
This is a hearty dish, that everyone will love.

If you don't have a slow cooker, I will gladly lend mine out for you to try - or borrow a friends. You will love it.

Tomorrow is Thursday - I have a dentist appointment, and I am already stressed. Wish me luck.

Enjoy.

Chris' Rating: 2 - apparently it had an unusual flavour 
 


No comments: