Friday, January 30, 2009

Friends oh lovely friends.

TFIF! This day did not come fast enough. Not even in the slighest. It felt as though this was a 23 day week. Dear Friday, I have missed you. This weekend is off to a good start. Chris and I had a very successful meeting with a new bank, and the outcome almost made me hug the guy. Jules (aka my mom) sent us to him - she has been visiting him for years. Apparently they have a pretty good relationship b/c he said (more than once) "she's my peeps" - too funny.  After our appointment we went to Jules' for dinner - soft tacos or as she likes to pronounce them tA(as in 'a'pple)cos. So good. Ground pork, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, cheese and a little sour cream. Thanks Mom!!!

Looking back at this week, it really wasn't bad, not bad at all, but it just felt long. There were ups and downs, but when I think about it, I feel so blessed to have such amazing people in my life. I am so fortunate. So incredibly fortunate. I am going to name just a few lovely friends that have touched me this week and made my week so much better. Mom - she is just the best, Debbie - a great sister, Babs who is a rock and teaches me so much about cooking, Margo - who is so strong and I miss dearly and can't wait to see her soon, Marsha for always being so fun and positive, Tracy - a new friend who helps me through the day - also an incredible artist - visit her here , Beth who is fun and always makes me laugh, Jenny for getting me on to this blog and not even knowing it, Colleen who I have touched base with again and who I miss so much, Shannon who I have connected with again after so many years, Jocelyn who I do such a bad job of keeping in touch with and who always ate what I made for her, Maegan who has got my butt in gear and who I love dearly for that, Jessica who also helps me get through the day and is a dear friend. I have so many more great friends, but this week, each of these ladies truly made my day some how.

Grandma always had amazing friends. Friends that she had for many, many years. Friends who she had from when she was in nursing to friends that she met later in life. She held her friends so dear to her, and you could tell that all of them loved and respected her so much.  She knew how important it was to surround yourself by those you love and who love you. She always had great stories about her friends and we just always knew that they meant so much to her.  I feel that she was such an amazing woman, but a huge part of that was how she balanced her family, her career and her friends - she had such a fortunate life and felt incredibly blessed.

Since dinner was cooked for us, I am going to post one of Grandma's delicious and easy desserts. I made this last night and it was a great finish to a lovely dinner.

Chocolate Pudding
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup milk
Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Add the milk to the melted butter, stir into dry ingredients. Mix all together and put into a baking dish - the 9x11 size. I found it a bit hard to put in the pan, so I squished it down with my hands.

Then...
1 cup brown sugar
4 tbsp cocoa
1 3/4 cup boiling water
Mix the sugar and the cocoa together and sprinkle over first level. Pour boiling water over top to cover the entire cake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Serve warm. This will be an all time favourite dessert.

Chris rated this a 5 - mostly because it's chocolate.

I wish you all a great Saturday - and hope that you get the things done that you want to get done, and that you have some time to treat yourself, however you like to be treated.

Enjoy!

No comments: