Thursday, January 29, 2009

Is that a Bistro?


Why has Thursday taken so long to get here? One more day - and then we have Friday. I am so eager to see what Friday will bring - so many things that I hope to get done, so many things that will probably have to wait.

On my evening walk with the pups - we saw a man crossing the road ahead of us, coming in our direction. We have seen this man before - he reminds of a gentle giant, walks with his head down, usually smiles and just stares - don't worry, not in a freaky sort of way. So tonight, as I see him walking towards us, he stops and says out loud to me 'Is that a Bistro?' - he was talking about Jozie. I'm sure he meant Bichon - but it was so funny the way that he asked. It made my walk. It took away from the fact, well for a minute or two, that my dogs are not well behaved on their leashes and that when I say 'sit' they think that it's fun to run so far ahead that my arm feels as though it could be ripped off. Wouldn't change it for a thing though - except maybe a dog obedience class or two.

Growing up we had such an amazing dog, Shadow. She was black lab who arrived one Christmas Eve when I was 8, a gift from my Grandma and Granddad. She arrived at the airport where my dad secretly went to pick her up - while most were waiting for loved ones to arrive, my dad was waiting for a gift that would be the one of the best gifts ever. Shadow was so smart - she was such a loyal dog. When she was on her leash she wasn't bad if people approached, but if another dog approached, watch out. Both hands on the leash, and hold on. Off leash, she was fine.
One year, on our annual trip to Vancouver, while staying with Grandma and Granddad, Grandma decided to take Shadow on an outing around the neighbourhood.  We heard for years after, about this outing. Apparently, Shadow not only did a 'jobbie' on one of her neighbours yards, she also pulled Grandma down the hill trying to chase another dog down. I can just picture her legs going as fast as she could trying to keep up, and so angry that Shadow was misbehaving. We are fortunate to have dogs in our life - and so much of our love for them comes from Grandma's love of all animals.

Tonight's dinner came from EAT magazine. I saw the dish on the cover and it looked so appealing, similar to something that I have made before, so I wanted to give it a try. I have altered it slightly, but it is not too different from the original.

Sausage and Chicken Stew
Italian sausage - 6
Boneless skinless chicken breasts - 4 - chopped into small chunks
Garlic - 3 cloves minced
Onion - 1 chopped
Dried oregano - 1 tbsp
Smoked paprika - 1 tbsp - first time I have used this and I really love the flavour
Canned diced tomatoes 
Chicken broth - 1 cup
BC HotHouse peppers - 3 coarsely chopped
White kidney beans - 1 can - drained and rinsed

Lightly coat a large saucepan or dutch oven with olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and brown on both sides - approximately 5 minutes. Remove sausages, add chicken and cook until browned - about 5 minutes (don't worry about it being cooked all the way through at this point). Remove from pan.

In the same pot, with the oil, add the chopped onion and garlic. Sprinkle with seasonings, don't forget the Kosher and cook until softened - about 8 minutes. While this is cooking take the time to cut up the sausage into chunk pieces.

When onions are soft, increase heat to high and pour in the broth. Scrape up and stir in the brown bits - they have great flavour. Reduce the heat. Stir in the tomatoes, return the chicken and the sausage to the pot and then add the peppers and the beans. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. 

We served it in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream on top. This dish was so delicious. Nice and hearty and easy to make. 

Chris rated this a 5 +. Holla!!! 

I would recommend this to everyone!

We are about ready to curl up and watch The Office - and spend a quiet evening together. Tomorrow's dish will be what we had for dessert tonight - one of grandma's decadent treats.

Happy Friday Eve! 

Enjoy!

PS - My mom ate the KitKat!!!!!  Good for you mom, I hope you enjoyed every bite.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm going to try this recipe as I have every single ingredient readily available...I'll let you know what Scott rates it!