Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Memory lane

I walked down it a little bit today. Lots of things reminded me of my youth. An old friend found me on Facebook, and it reminded me of grade 2, my hometown - Kitimat, the night that I had a sleep over and we invited our guy friends to hang out with us in the tent - I got in so much trouble. Then my 'oldest' dear friend Shannon is in town - unfortunately not for a good visit, her grandpa passed away, and I hope that we are able to get a visit in.  We have known each other since we were 8 and I haven't seen in her way too long. Then dinner tonight, was a dish that my mom used to make for us as kids. 

A couple of months ago, when I was ready to leave work I thought of this dish. I remember my mom making it when we were little and I knew that it was good comfort food. The recipe is very simple - and since the first time that I made it - when Chris rated it a 1 (how dare he) I have "gourmet'd" it up and it is so delicious. 

My mom is such a good cook - and I love that I still remember dishes that she made when I was young and how I have stuck to some of them and how I have made my own interpretations. 

Mom's Meat Pie 
2 packs of ground meat - I don't eat red meat so tonight it was ground chicken breast
2 cans of sliced mushrooms - no salt added 
2 cans of tomato paste
1 onion - diced
1 cup of shredded cheese - marble (low fat) and tonight I added a bit of leftover Gruyere
2 tins of Pillsbury whole wheat crescent rolls - don't judge me - they taste really good :)

Pre-heat the oven to 375. 
Saute onion in 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 10 minutes - season the onion with a pinch of kosher salt.  Add ground chicken and cook until it is cooked throughout. Drain canned mushrooms and add to chicken. Add two cans of tomato paste and mix it all together. Add any seasoning that you desire - tonight I only added dried oregano - and to me that is all that it needed.

In a regular sized pie plate, roll out the crescent rolls and cover the bottom and sides of the plate - to form a pie shell. Add the meat mixture to the pie plate and top with the shredded cheese.  Bake for 20-25 minutes - just watch that the edges of the pie shell so that it doesn't burn.

And that's it! So simple, served with steamed broccoli, and I have enough for our lunches and dinner tomorrow night! Ta Da!!! As a child the dish was very similar, but very different. It was always made with ground beef, nothing was added to the meat and instead of shredded cheese, it was cheese slices - oh how times have changed.

Chris rated this a 5!!

As I write this, I am watching on CBC - 'The Week The Women Went' - and I wonder what would happen if I left for a week? I have though - and Chris is very self sufficient - he does miss me though - and the cooking. Oh I love. 

I hope that your Wednesday felt like that the week was half over, because it is - the weekend is just around the corner.

Enjoy!

No comments: