Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday, oh Monday


Back to the grind - so they say. I am happy to be home tonight, with my pups, waiting for Chris (always waiting for Chris - it's a good thing though) and a healthy home-cooked meal - I'm back. Seriously though, my plan for meat and veggies, is really working out well. I feel really good - almost like I can notice a difference already. I am pretty sure that there isn't a difference, but I feel better - and that is the main thing. Healthy mind = healthy body, or is it the other way around???

Tonight, I used a bunch of the veggies that I had in my fridge, boneless skinless chicken breasts and a made up sauce. I will take a picture - and post later - still working out the PC and the LT.
This dish was super easy, and you don't have to follow it to a T. Before we go any further though, I rarely measure - so some of the measurements may be off slightly - i.e., olive oil.

Chicken Curry Stirfry with Coconut milk and Ginger

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into thin strips or cubed
1/2 a cauliflower
3 cups fresh mushrooms - sliced  - cheat, buy them already sliced. They stay fresh - I love them.
4 carrots - julienned
1 cello bag of spinach
(And whatever other vegetables you have on hand)
1 can of Coconut Milk
Ginger - fresh of seasoning
Curry powder
Hot pepper jelly

Instead of using my wok, I often use my electric skillet.  Stir fry chicken in a tbsp of olive oil - when chicken is about half way cooked - about 5 minutes - add your can of coconut milk.  Continue to cook on medium heat.  Add two tbsp of Hot Pepper Jelly*, curry powder and ginger powder. I have a great ginger powder that I got from Epicure selections - if you haven't had a chance to try anything of theirs, I highly recommend it. Stir in the seasonings so that they are incorporated nicely, and then add all of your vegetables.  The aroma and colours are amazing.

Let cook for about 10 minutes, or to the consistency that you like your vegetables. Serve over brown or basmati rice and you have a great meal.

*Chris and I found a great little farmer's market in Niagara on the Lake and bought a delicious jar of Hot Pepper Jelly that I have been wanting to try. We also bought a bunch of other stuff  - a jar of dutch apple jam - but it got eaten but whatever. It's ok, I wasn't waiting to try it since October. Sigh. Normally I would serve the jelly as an appetizer with cream cheese and crackers - but this was a lovely addition to the stir fry. If you don't have this, then you can add red pepper flakes, teriyaki sauce, hot sauce - really whatever you like.

I hope that you give this a try. Chris will be home soon, and he will give us his rating.

Enjoy.

Chris' Rating: 5

No comments: