Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Raining = Comfort food.

Welcome! It's my first official blog. My idea is to keep an ongoing journal of what I am cooking - so that I can cook it again, revise the recipe, share with friends, etc.

It's been a miserable couple of days. Wet, wet and more wet. I don't think that the rain has stopped. The dogs are not impressed! 

Tonight's dinner is keeping with my new year's theme of healthy dinners. I know that it is possible to cook healthy and delicious meals each night - so this is my challenge.

So tonight's dinner is so easy, healthy, hearty and there is enough of it leftover for lunch tomorrow (a huge bonus for me).

I don't really have a name for it, but hopefully I will think of one before the end of this blog.

1 large onion
1 pack of ground meat (I used ground pork tonight)
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of navy beans
1 green pepper
1 bunch of spinach
2 cups of mushrooms
Parmesan cheese
Kosher Salt
Dried Oregano
Chili flakes

Saute the onions in olive oil - add a couple of pinches of Kosher Salt - for about 15 minutes until they are translucent. Add the minced garlic and stir - then add your ground meat.  Cook for about another 10-15 minutes. Then add the rest of your ingredients except for the cheese. Let the ingredients simmer for another 15 minutes, or until you think that it is ready. I think that it really depends on how you like the vegetables cooked. When it is all ready sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with Naan bread. And voila, dinner is served. This is a hearty meal that will be sure to fill you up. 

Enjoy.

Chris' Rating: 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just tried this one and it was delicious...definitely a 4. I work with Chris and he recommended that I take a look at this site. Went great with Naan but would also be good on its own... very similar to chili just with better vegetables