Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunny Sunday

Sun is shining! It's lovely - almost blinding me as I sit in my kitchen writing. Oh wait - I thought it was the sun blinding me, but I think that it is really the messy kitchen. What happens? One day it is almost clean - and then a day later - trash. Somedays it makes me want to cry - well not literally - but just stress. 

I have kind of been out of commission for the weekend. I had a kidney stone on Friday night. I went from lifting some furniture to 'OH MY GOD - I AM DYING'. Fortunately I didn't die, but it was a tough one. I am feeling better now - but it was a tough go. Not sure if you have had one before, but the pain is unbearable. I should have went to the ER - but I seriously could not move.

I missed my run with my new friend, Micki. She is also my 'trainer' - although I haven't trained with her in quite some time. Not sure if I can keep calling her my trainer - embarrassing. I felt badly - I dissed her - but I have now been in contact and let her know why I wasn't there. It would have been a great day for a morning walk and for a good cause. 

We are having Myles, Jessica and new baby Brooklyn for dinner tonight. I can't wait to meet the wee'in. I hope I get to have a cuddle with her. I am keeping dinner very simple - something that I can put in the oven and just let roast - roasted chickens with potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and a salad. For dessert - I cheated. I bought an angel food cake from Safeway - if you haven't tried these before - try one! They are so good, low fat and taste homemade. I bought some fresh organic strawberries and I'll serve it up with some fattening whipped cream :)

Roasted Chicken and Vegetables 

2 roast chickens
8-10 Yukon Gold Potatoes - use whatever you have on hand
4-5 carrots
1 large onion

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. In your roasting pan, place your chickens. Around the chickens, add you sliced onions, and the rest of your vegetables - I also like to use chopped up butternut squash - but not tonight. Cut up your vegetables in small - medium cubes and slice your carrots in to large chunks. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on to each chicken and get in there with your hands and rub it in. Do the same for your vegetables - you don't need a lot of olive oil, just enough to lightly coat them. Then add whatever seasoning you love. I like to add poultry seasoning, kosher salt and pepper to the chickens - and fresh rosemary to vegetables. 

Then bake it! That's it. Seriously, prep time is about 10 minutes - and the cooking is low maintenance - cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. 

Take the chickens out of the pan, and let sit, covered with aluminum foil - to keep all of the juices in it - before carving it up.

I hope that you can give this dish a try. I have a lot of upcoming meals and tips for shopping. Stay tuned.

Enjoy!

Chris' Rating: 4

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm so excited about your blog!!!
Gonna make some chai tea and start reading!!
:)