Friday, January 9, 2009

TGIF!


Well, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I am pretty happy that it's Friday. It seems as though Friday took forever to get here. 

I feel kind of like I have cheated. I had dinner at my mom's last night, sushi for lunch, and then a piece of leftover chicken for a 'semi' dinner. No cooking. You may be thinking that I lied when I said that I loved to cook - honestly I do!! Then... I was at my friend Chrissy's for her Wii/Birthday/Ladies only party - so much fun - and she made a delicious Turkey and Black Bean Chili - in the slow cooker.  It was delicious - and I will definitely be trying it soon.

I am away for tomorrow, so no post. So, I thought that I would add a delicious and (what I think to be) decadent dish. I like to serve this with my turkey dinner and recently took it to a Potluck. It looks absolutely fabulous and no one needs to know how easy, it actually is.

Spinach Gratin

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

4 cups chopped onions (2 large)

¼ cup flour

¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup heavy cream

2 cups milk

3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10 ounce) packages)

1 cup parmesan cheese

1 tbsp Kosher salt

½ teaspoon pepper

½ cup grated Gruyere cheese

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.

 

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed sauté pan (I use my big electric skillet, works great) over medium heat – add onions – sauté until translucent – around 15 mins. Add flour and nutmeg – cook and stir for about 2 mins. Add the cream and the milk – cook until thickened – stir with a whisk to ensure no clumping. Squeeze out the spinach to get all excess water out – add the spinach to the sauce. Add ½ cup of the parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle with the Gruyere cheese and then the remaining parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Enjoy!!!

Chris' Rating: 5

No comments: