Sunday, February 22, 2009

Good old fashioned Sunday.


my couch-potatoes

Sunday, oh how I love thee.

We ended our Saturday with a burger and a salad out. It was a nice treat. We ended up heading out in the afternoon so that Chris could get his passport photo and we ended up at Sears stocking up on pillows. Our spare room is almost set for company - well we are totally equipped - but I am hoping to make it little more spa like for when we do have visitors. So you are all welcome anytime. Seriously.

Today I went on a bit of a cleaning frenzy - and I am sure that there is still so much more to do. I got up nice and early, took the pups for an extra long walk - it was such an incredible day - the sun was out, the air was clean and crisp, there were many dog friends to meet - I treated the pups to an extra long walk - and it was a treat for me too.

After Chris was home we headed out for a few groceries. When Chris and I head over to his 'old' store to shop, it's kind of similar to a hero coming home. I kid you not. Chris left the store just over two years ago to go to the University Height store, and still to this day when we go in, so many of the staff act as though they haven't seen him in forever. They all come out of their 'areas' to say 'hello', ask him when he is coming back, how they miss him, and on and on. Although it's so nice to see hat he is loved (I already know that though), it can be frustrating. I like to get in there, whip around the store and get what I need and then get out. After today's shop, when we were finished getting our Starbucks treat, I should have called on Patience but I didn't, and just stood there waiting and waiting. Frustrated and waiting. What a spaz I am. 

Patience called - I have none. 

My mom came for dinner tonight. We love it when she comes over. It's fun to treat her. 

Tonight we had a good feast. We had meatloaf, creamy dill potatoes, roasted carrots and swiss chard. And we finished with angel food cake with a warm blueberry sauce and whipped cream.  

Meatloaf
2 lbs ground meat - I used ground pork
5 italian sausages with basil - taken out of their casings  
1 onion - chopped
3 cloves of garlic - finely minced
1 small red pepper - finely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp white wine dijon mustard
1 egg white
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp ketchup

Saute onions and red pepper in a small amount of olive oil - with a pinch of kosher salt. Add garlic when onions are about ready. Add the onion mixture to the ground meat. And then add all of the remaining ingredients. Place in a pan lined with aluminum foil and top with the remaining ketchup. Bake at 425 for about 1 hour and 45 mins. I haven't put the ketchup on top before, and we really liked it. I will do this again.

Creamy Dill Potatoes
Ok - these are a MUST to try. Don't look at the 4 ingredients and think fattening - think that this will be your treat for the week - and that you need to indulge every once and awhile. I learned this recipe from my friend Shannon. She told me that her friend would make the best potatoes with dill - so I asked her what the ingredients were and I made my own version. I am not sure if they are the same - hopefully I can make them some time for Shannon and she can tell me if they are as good.

2 lbs of small nugget potatoes - as small as you can get them
2 cups of whipped cream - I know you're thinking "oh god"
3 cloves of minced garlic
3-4 tbsp of dill - it's hard to get good fresh dill right now - so I used Gourmet Garden Dill - I would really recommend this.

Parboil your potatoes until they are almost cooked. Drain the potatoes. In the same pot, add the cream, dill and garlic and a couple of pinches of kosher salt. Cook at a medium temperature and continue to stir. Once the cream thickens slightly, add the potatoes back to the pot and continue to stir. Eventually the cream will thicken into a wonderful creamy greatness and the flavour becomes unbelievable. 

For the vegetables, I lightly sprayed olive oil on the carrots and a pinch of kosher and cooked them in the oven with the meatloaf at the high temperature. Cook for about 20 minutes. 
The swiss chard was chopped and heated in my cast iron pan with a lid. I added about a 1/4 cup of chicken stock and let it simmer. So flavourful.

For dessert. 
Angel food cake - store bought - from Safeway - so delicious.
I placed 1 cup of blueberries in a saucepan and added 1/4 cup water and 2 tsp of honey. Let the berries boil and continued to stir. I removed the berries from the heat and added a tsp of cornstarch and stirred it vigorously to let it thicken. I poured a generous amount over each piece of cake and topped with fresh whipped cream. 

Chris rated this dish a 5!! Jules rated this a 6!!!

I wanted to share a funny letter that I found today. I went through a couple of boxes that my aunt put together for me after my grandma passed away. I haven't had a chance to do this before today. I am so unbelievably thankful for everything that Babs did with all of my grandma's things - and I am so fortunate to have amazing memories and memorabilia of my Grandma. 

In one of the envelopes there was a letter that my dad wrote my grandma when he was in grade 1. It read:
Hello Mom
We are having a party at school on Friday. Please come.
Love your friend Andy.

It made me so sad, just thinking of my dad and grandma - and so happy at the same time. These little "snipits" or pieces of "family history" are invaluable. They mean so much to me - and I will cherish them always.

Ok, we are about to sign off of a great weekend and start the new week with full force. That's right, full force. Patience, positive attitude - I will be a superhero this week - watch me. 

Loves.
Enjoy.

2 comments:

Beth said...

HEY HEY, nice RECIPE INDEX you saucy minx.

You are so fabulous and unstoppable.

Jenny said...

You.Go.Supergirl!!!
Hope you had a fantastic weekend!!
You ran 3 days this past week?? That's awesome. I will pick up the running soon. I have something wrong with my knee. It does seem to be getting better though.
Have a good run tomorrow!!
:)