Sunday, February 8, 2009

P.S. I love you.

I have just finished watching 'P.S. I love you', and have managed to stop sobbing. It was a really good movie. It made me think of my dad - and how he left us so quickly. How after he passed, that I felt him around me so many times. I still do from time to time, and think of him everyday, and just miss him so much. 

I haven't told too many people this, but a couple of years ago I went and had my tea leaves read. I went with a couple of gf's, and we made a day trip out of it. I had a private reading by a woman, and wasn't sure what to expect. She picked me to go first b/c she 'could see people around me'. I am not a true believer in 'fortune tellers' but there were a few things that this woman said to me, that struck me. She mentioned a black dog and how the man that was there was telling her to tell me that the dog was there - we had a black lab, Shadow, that was our family dog and meant so much to all of us and we were so sad when she passed. Then she told me that the man was eating peppermints. My dad used to always eat peppermints - not suck on them. We used to laugh that he would eat the mints like they were potato chips. There were other things, but these were such random things that made me think that he was there with me that day. I know that he has been with us all for our major achievements and our sad times. He left us with so much, he took care of us. Oh I miss him so. Dad, P.S. I love you.

Today was a good day - no sleeping in - thanks Magnum. No "accidents" in the house today, thankfully. He did do a lot of whining - I mean major whining. From the time he woke up until the time Chris got home from work. I think that he is trying me - I know that he is a puppy - but he is high maintenance. As I write, he is laid out on his back, legs and arms stretched out. I guess he is comfortable in his home. Magnum, P.S. I love you.

I am going to bring the movie to my mom tomorrow night - Mom, you are going to cry. Get the kleenexes out. You'll be ok - it will be a reminder of dad - remember how much he loved you - don't be too sad. Mom, P.S. I love you.

I cooked up a storm tonight. I made Chicken Broccoli Casserole, Peas with Pancetta and brown rice. I will post the Peas with Pancetta tomorrow night - b/c I won't be cooking. I am so excited about tomorrow's night dinner - I will tell you all about it tomorrow.

Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This was taken from my Cooking Light cookbook - it was super easy - and ended up being delicious.

2 large crowns of broccoli - just the tops (save the stalks - I will have a recipe for them this week)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut in half  
12 ounce can Canned milk
1/4 cup flour
Kosher salt 
Pepper
2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup - light Mayonnaise 
1/2 cup non-fat sour cream
1 can low fat, low sodium Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 tsp Worcester sauce
1/4 cup Sherry - I don't have Sherry in the house so used White Wine
1 cup Parmesan cheese

Boil a large pot of water and add the broccoli to cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pot with a slotted spoon. Then add the chicken to the boiling water and let boil for 15 minutes. 
Meanwhile, in a saucepan add flour, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper and heat over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil, and stir with a whisk consistently. Let the mixture thicken until it's smooth. Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients - reserve half of the cheese. Stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
Remove the chicken and cut into small cubes. Add the broccoli and chicken to a casserole dish (I used a 9x12 dish) and pour the milk mixture over top and mix it all together. Cover with the remaining cheese. 
Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes - until it's deliciously golden brown on top.

Chris rated this a 5+!!
Chris LOVED this dish. I love to cook for him. I feel really blessed that he loves what I make him. He doesn't take it for granted - he is always appreciative. He helps me clean up when we are done, and loves to try and describe the meal in his 'foody' words. I love Sunday dinners b/c we get to sit at the table and enjoy each other's company.

After dinner tonight, just after we finished cleaning up - he played U2's "One" which he says is 'our song - our wedding song' (hold on to your hats - no wedding is being planned - not yet anyways :) ) - he turned the lights down and we had a nice slow dance (aka 3 AM dance - hahah - I heard that phrase the other day and laughed - been there, done that) - not to sound sappy - but it was so nice so comfortable. Then after the song was over he played Van Halen's 'Jump' and had a little dance with Jozie. Chris, P.S. I love you so much. And Jozie, P.S I love you - my girl. 
video


I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and were able to accomplish everything that you set out to. I hope that you enjoyed yourself and the loved ones in your life. Tomorrow starts a new week - one that has so many good things in store for all of us - we just need to wait and see what they are.

Enjoy!

P.S. I love you all.
 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love slow dancing....Valentines Day is coming up so I know Scott and I will get jiggy on the dance floor.(aka our living room)
I keep meaning to blog, but haven't been on the computer too much. I'm at my mom's and it is so slooooooooooow...will post an update tomorrow.
Your post about your dad reminded me of things I was thinking this past week. They are always with us....:)