Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Running for my life - part 3.

running
for 
my
life
(the series)

Isn't that funny? The ongoing saga. The struggle with hills. I think that I have something here, but really it would be me writing about my struggles and accomplishments from week to week.

Tonight's run was like the others. I struggled with the hills; I felt like my shins were going to break off of my legs (is that possible?); I felt like giving up just after I started; and then at some point during the run, I was running. I was running! I was free, I felt as though I could do this. My legs had pain, but they weren't stopping me. My breathing was relaxed and controlled. My head was high, and I was running. I used my words that I hear Micki saying to me "Light on your feet". And I was. Our last interval, when the whistle blew, I said to Maegan, "this is our last one, make it worth it". And we did. We started on a hill, and I maintained my pace, I got closer to the ladies in front of me who ran way ahead of me for most of the night, and I was breathing and I was relaxed and I was passing them with confidence. I was running. 

We all have battles with ourselves. I have many. This is normal, and I constantly try to keep my battles in check and try hard to figure out how I can work with them and how I cannot let them win. My battle with running is the little voice in my head that tells me 'oh you're getting tired, you should just stop. You've ran for a bit, now be proud of that and just stop'. I have to get past that little voice, give it a swift kick in the butt, and run through it. I think that we can take all of the advice from people that want to give it on how to work through this, but really in the end, it has to come from within. I think that it's important to get different perspectives from people, but not rely on them to help you battle your demons. I have taken advice from Micki, and I constantly use her phrases that she says to me - I use them always - we all should: "You can do this. You will do this. You are doing this." I take advice from my brother - an amazing athlete and inspiring human being. He has finished several tri-athalons and this past summer finished his first Iron Man. He always tells me to visualize what you want, and you can make it happen.

I guess that what I am trying to say, is that we really can do anything that we WANT to do. There may be limitations, roadblocks or even people telling us that it is impossible, but if we want something badly enough only we can make it happen.

I WANT many things - and I am going to work towards them. I want to be able to declare these to the world, but I am just not there yet. Perhaps it is fear of failure or that I am chicken. What I do know, is that when I succeed with my goals, you will all know. 

Tonight's dinner consisted of Strip loin steaks, the butt end (Not really sure the cut). I just drizzled with olive oil and kosher salt and pepper and then cooked them in our cast iron pan, 6 minutes each side. Served with organic green beans. Although I don't eat red meat, I actually had a piece tonight, and it was really tasty. If you haven't tried your steak this way, give it a try.

Ok friends. I have to call it a night. I do want to share that I have something exciting to announce this week - a little bit of a contest that will result in great prizes. Stay tuned.

Thanks for listening. Stay inspired. Set goals and achieve them. It will happen, because you want them to. You are great. You are inspiring. You are amazing.

Loves.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Way to Run Cheryl!!!
Keep up the awesome work!!!
:)

Beth said...

contest, eh?

ME LIKEY.

also, you're so effin' inspiring, do you know that?? RUNNNNN, LASSIE!!!

Tracy said...

Great job running friend!!! and you are SO right, it has to come from within... cause it doesn't count if you're doing things for everyone else... it has to be for you, from you and then YOU can celebrate and everyone will celebrate with you!!!

little miss runner girl :)

xoxo