Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Dinner

We have just finished dinner, dishes are done, Chris is prepping for his day tomorrow (he is super organized and has everything - I mean EVERYTHING done for the morning the night before), the pups have been fed, and I am excitedly waiting for the new season of the Amazing Race. 

Chris has a new saying that he is addicted to "Ma Lady". He is pretty much saying it at the beginning or end of every sentence. So something normally would sound like this "Hey Chers, how was your day?" has been translated to something that sounds like "Hello Ma Lady!!!!! How was Ma Lady's day?" Oh Chris.

Today was a great day. It was so beautiful and sunny. Chris worked. I managed to get almost caught up in  Coronation Street - don't think that I have watched it in over a month. Had a nice long walk with my neighbour aka "beside yard Barb" - she has two big dogs, Brodie an Ginger. After our walk, I went to Safeway and picked up a few things for dinner - and stopped at Starbucks on my way out - the usual - non-fat vanilla tea misto. Then I came home with great intentions of cleaning, and I decided not to. I did the bathroom, tidied up the kitchen and that was it. It was just way too nice outside to be inside cleaning. When Chris got home we went for a drive and ended up at Mt. Doug and had another great walk. Jozie was in full alert for rabbits - she HEARTS the rabbits. Magnum is also getting in on this - it's quite funny to watch them. Oh, speaking of Magnum - he tried lifting his leg on the toilet paper package that I hadn't yet put away - I put the kibosh on that very quickly. Naughty dog. 

Tonight's dinner was really good! We started with what should have been the main course, but I switched it around. We had Potato and Leek soup with Cheesy toasts and then had Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart.

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
                                                                                                                   
Tart: This recipe is from my Auntie Barb - so easy and so good  
2 cups of flour
2 generous pinches of salt
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp sour cream
10 tbsp of unsalted butter - which is equivalent to 2/3 cup
2 tbsp of water

In your food processor, add all of dry ingredients with the butter. Pulse about 10 times until all of the butter is in pea sized bits. Add the sour cream, egg yolk and water and pulse a couple of more times. Check the consistency, it should be able to stick together and form a ball. 
Remove from the food processor and lay on a flour surfaced. With your rolling pin, roll out the dough. Then fold in half and place into your tart pan. When you unfold it, it will nicely cover the other side of the pan. Cut off the edges so that they are even with the sides. Poke a bunch of holes with a fork all over the surface and the sides. Add dried beans to prevent the base from rising. 
Bake at 375 for 20 mins.

While pie crust is baking prepare the onion and goat cheese mixture. 

3 medium sized onions - cut in half and then cut into thin slices
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup of goat cheese - crumbled

In your skillet, saute the onions in olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. The onions will take a bit until they are fully caramelized - probably close to 25 minutes. Once they are caramelized, and the pie is ready, transfer the onions to the pie and top with the crumbled goat cheese. 
Bake for 15 minutes at 425.
I think that for next time, I may add the cheese to the onions right before putting it in the pie dish and see how that works. I think that I will also add a bit of stock and a bit of white wine too. Give it a try if you are thinking of making it, and let me know how it turns out.

All in all - it was a great addition to the dinner.

Chris rated this a 5!!!!
Funny story about Chris and the pie - I showed him the pie before I put it in the oven the first time with the kidney beans - I have to admit - I am not a baker - so I was pretty impressed that it worked out. So after we ate, and were cleaning up, he said that he thought that the pie was so good and 'it's amazing that something made from kidney beans could taste so good'. So funny. I have explained the beans at this time. Haha.

I have posted a pic of the Potato and Leek Soup with Cheesy toast and will probably post the recipe on Tuesday - running night - when there will not be a fancy dinner made. 

I hope you all had a great weekend - and are ready to tackle this upcoming week like no other. 






Bring it on!

Enjoy.


No comments: