Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Sunday!



It's the evening of a perfect day. So much fun - all around. 

I got up nice and early - thanks Magnum - and decided to head out to SuperStore, nice and early. I go to SuperStore, probably 2-3 times a year, and each time I leave the store, I tell myself that I will never go out there again. Today was a great experience. I was there before 9, list in hand, and only bought about 15 things that weren't on the list - and I didn't have to wait in a line. It was DEAD out there. Just the way I like it.  SuperStore, was followed by a lovely dog walk - the pups were so well-behaved - shocker. 

For the rest of the day, I got ready for my sister and 'phews to come over for our own little Super Bowl party. Chris was going to his own party after work - a friend that he works with has a big guy get together each year - so it was just the four of us. I don't really watch football, I know that when they score that it is called a 'touchdown' and really, that is almost about it. I have been to a NFL game before, which was a pretty great experience. Chris is a huge Seahawks fan (I am wearing his jersey right now) so for his 40th I bought him season opener tickets. Anyways, ya, so very little in the football knowledge. But what I do know, is that it's a good excuse to get together with friends and family and eat great food - and that's exactly what we did.

I love having my sister over for dinner - it's such a treat to cook for her b/c she is so appreciative to have dinner made for her. I filled my big glass candy jar for her, and she indulged. 

I had a menu of the following:
Tailgate party:
Tangerine Pelligrino's for the kids and Pelligrino with lemon for us 
1st Quarter:
Hot and spicy chicken wings
2nd Quarter:
Mini hot dogs and Mini turkey burgers
Half-time: I HEART Bruce Springsteen
3rd Quarter:
Chicken Chili
4th Quarter:
Caramel Dulce Cheesecake

I made up a little menu for the boys and little treat bags for all of them to take home. Mini gatorade bottles, chiclets, m&m's and a scratch&win for the boys. And a bottle of SB's frappucino, Valentine socks, m&m's and a scratch&win for Debbie. I love doing this sort of stuff - it's so fun.

Mini Turkey Burgers  
1 pack of ground turkey
1/4 cup ketchup
Kosher
2 tbsp of Verde Vinagrette seasoning (Epicure)
Havarti (I used tomato and basil)

Mix all ingredients together and form to small patties - 2 1/4 inch in size. Lightly spray skillet with olive oil - add patties. Cook at medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside. This should make 12-14 patties.

You can make the patties in advance (they're also great done on the BBQ). For the buns, use white tray buns - you can buy them pretty much anywhere - you can use whole wheat which are healthier, but this time I thought that we would use white. Cut each bun into three - so that the top and bottom are thin. Then use a round cookie cutter, preferably 2 1/4 inch - and form your burger buns. You will have the middle layer of the buns and the outside of the circles - so we'll have to find something inventive to do with them.

Just before you are ready to serve, place a small piece of Havarti on each patty and heat in the oven for about 5 minutes on low heat. Then place each patty on the bun. I served mine with the ketchup and mustard on a dish so they could put what they wanted on them. 

The next time I make these I am going to use goat cheese and top with cranberry sauce. 

These are really fun - and very delicious.

Today was a super day. Bruce Springsteen for the Half-time show was the highlight. I HEART him. He evokes a lot of different memories for me - 'Your Hometown' - Dad and I used to sing this one. I need to see him in concert some day - need to. I fantasize about being his back up singer - I play a mean tambourine - I played with a Neal Diamond Tribute band once - I wasn't really "asked" to play with them - they generously "allowed" the 'drunken' girl to shake the tam when she suddenly appeared on stage in the middle of a set. Ah, good times. Anyways, ya, so I would love to do that. If you have an 'in' please put in a good word for me - I have my own tam.

So, Bruce and Debbie and the boys made this day great. I love my nephews - they are such good boys - and I love that they still have fun hanging out with us.

Only minutes before I head off to bed and the weekend is over. Don't worry Friday we will be together again soon. Oh Friday, how I love thee.

Have a great week friends - work hard, play hard - eat well and have a little treat. 

Enjoy!

PS - if you read yesterday's I changed the Chicken Salad recipe - I was off with my ingredients.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

That sounded like the best party ever!!! I so want to go to one of your parties!!
Your nephews must adore you!