Monday, February 23, 2009

Welcome to the world little one.

We have a new member of our family - my cousin Mitchell and wife Sam welcomed a little baby girl to the world this morning. How exciting. A name hasn't been selected quite yet. I can't wait to meet the new little bundle.

I stayed home today - I won't get into details but I wasn't feeling 100% - not even 50. It wasn't last night's dinner, if you were thinking - Jules and Chris are fine. I also woke up with a bit of a sinus headache, and it hasn't quite left me today. But that's it - the rest is all good. I got to putter around the house, get things done, hang with the pups and just be.

Chris and I have decided to treat ourselves to someone coming in once every two weeks to help us keep our house clean. It's not that our house isn't clean, but there is so much extra stuff that needs to get done, that I just don't get to each week. Chris and I have one day off a week together, and that day consists of him at Kung Fu for 4 hours - so our time together is precious. I don't want to spend any of that time having to worry about if our toilet is clean or if the floors are swept. And then I have Sundays off - but I want to have a little time to myself to run some errands, walk the dogs, visit with a gf, etc. I don't want to feel guilty about this indulgence, I want to embrace it, and enjoy the little bit of extra time on the weekends. 

Tonight I made a nice comfort food dish. It was easy and really tasty. Try it and let me know what you think.

Chicken and Tomato Stew
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs - try organic if you can
1 onion - chopped
2 large cloves of garlic - minced
1 red pepper - chopped
3 celery stalks - chopped
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 half bunch of swiss chard leaves
1/4 cup white wine (use chicken stock instead if you don't have any on hand)
1/4 chicken stock 
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
kosher salt and pepper

In a large dutch over, drizzle olive oil and the cook the chicken on medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside. Add onion and garlic, a couple of pinches of kosher salt and stir to coat in the chicken drippings. Add white wine and chicken stock to deglaze the pan. saute long enough until the onions are translucent. Add the rest of the vegetables (except the swiss chard), the tomatoes and return the chicken to the pot. Add the spices and the sugar. Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. After 45 minutes, add the swiss chard, cover again and let simmer for about another 5 minutes. 

And thats it. Serve over brown rice - which is what I did, and it was really delicious. 

Chris rated this a 5!!

I just had a call from our friend Jon, who is going to be making our built-in desk downstairs. I can't wait. I can't wait to be free of the clutter zone that we have called our computer desk for the last 4.5 years. I can't wait to have organization.  I can't wait for Chris to have his new pc set up. I can't wait. I CAN'T WAIT. I feel that our house is starting to be organized. I just wish that it didn't take us almost 5 years. Oh well, better late than never. 

I just had a feeling that 2009 is going to be the year. The year for so many possibilities, for order, for friendship, for family for it all. 

My love is home - we will enjoy a bit of time before we hit the pillows.

Enjoy.

No comments: