Sunday, March 8, 2009

Giving.


C. Mitchell Presents – Is Giving to:

Jenny, Beth and Shannon. 

Enjoy! 

Congratulations ladies! I am very excited for you to receive these treats. I will be in contact with you for an address and let you know what you have won.  I will be posting the recipes this wzeek, stay tuned. I have a few 'honourable mention" gifts - check your mailboxes. They will be a surprise!

This afternoon was lazy. When I say 'lazy', I mean, LAAAAAZZZZZZEEEEEE! After a cup of hot chocolate and toast, I planned to go to one of my nephew's hockey games, and I decided to watch 'Pearl Harbour' that was on tv instead. I never do that. But it felt really good. There was so much that I could have done instead, but sitting on my Royal Canadian (my grandma's term) was what I needed.

I did head out and spent too much on groceries - I should be stocked up for a couple of weeks - and just need to refuel on veggies and fruit. 

I am pretty excited to share tonight's dinner with you all. It seems like it's been awhile since I really cooked up a storm in the kitchen. Cooking tonight was what I really needed. The sun was out - shining in our kitchen window. I made up a dish that I am not sure if we can call it a stew or a chowder, but I think that we'll call it a stew. 

Seafood Stew Sims Style

2 lbs Salmon Fillets - chopped into chunks - I'm not really sure on the amounts, but we had 2 large fillets

40 prawns - shelled 

1 large onion

2 large yams - peeled and chopped into small pieces

2 cloves of garlic - minced

4 celery stalks - chopped

1 cup of corn

1 can diced tomatoes

1/3 cup flour

2 cups chicken stock - or fish stock 

Dried oregano

Smoked paprika

Kosher salt and pepper

Saute onion in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Saute for about 8 minutes and add the yams. Saute for another 15 minutes - or until the yams start to soften. Add garlic, saute for another minute. Add flour to coat the yams and onions. Add pinches of kosher salt and pepper. Then add half of the chicken stock and stir to ensure that the flour is fully incorporated. This will make a thick sauce almost like a gravy. Add the tomatoes, celery and corn and stir and finish adding the remaining stock and dry spices. Let this simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir often.  Then add the salmon chunks and prawns and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. And that's it! This was a fabulously flavourful dinner and Chris loved it. I served whole wheat biscuits - that you will love once you try them.

 

Whole Wheat Biscuits

This recipe is actually from a scone recipe and I have just altered it over the years. I love making it with the whole wheat flour - so they are not only healthy, but delicious.  

2 cups whole wheat flour - you can definitely use all purpose if you prefer

4 tsp baking powder

Pinch of salt

1 cup of cheese - I like to cut the cheese into tiny small chunks 

Dried herbs - or fresh - whatever you like to use. I love using dried basil

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1 egg

2/3 cup milk 

Mix all dry ingredients together, cut in the butter - add cheese. Measure milk into a measuring cup and then add the egg and mix together. Mix all ingredients together, get in there with your hands and knead it all together. No need to roll out the dough, you can just pull pieces of the dough apart and place them on a cooking sheet. Makes about 12-13 biscuits. Bake in a 425 oven for about 17 minutes.  This is such a great recipe and I think that you will really enjoy them. You can alter this recipe and add fruit instead of cheese. If you do add fruit, add 1/4 cup of sugar. 

Chris rated this a 5+.

I talked to Chris tonight about the next C. Mitchell Presents - Giving. It's going to be a good one. 

We are on the eve of another week and I really want to remember how fortunate I am everyday. I will miss Mena this week at our running clinic and will think of her and her son Jack when I am out on that running course. 

Here's to another great week, full of whatever we want it to be. We are doing it, we will do it and we are doing it. Just what I need to get me through.

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICKI!!!!!

Enjoy!

PS - something happened when typing this out - and all of the spaces is hooped - I hope it doesn't look too bad.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I won!!! I'm so excited!!
:)