Saturday, March 14, 2009

Farewell memory lane - we've purged you.

Just sitting down from a hardcore afternoon of purging. It still looks like a bomb hit the downstairs, but I see the light. Light = organization, clean, tidy, everything has a place. 

I am embarrassed to say, but we found about 5 boxes of 'stuff' that were just put in place when we moved 4.5 years ago. I guess the first part is admitting it. It felt good to get rid of all that junk - organize the stuff we needed to keep.  I found some very funny things within the clutter, and some things that definitely took me down memory lane. Pictures - oh so many pictures. Pictures of my nephews when they were so young, pictures of Brenna, pictures of my sister and I hooping it up, pictures of me when I was skinny-ish, pictures of Chris' son - Bon, my dad. 

Oh my dad. I found his biking box with all of his tools for fixing his bike, his helmet, his riding gloves and glasses. My dad was an awesome cyclist - and he LOVED it. The year before he passed he rode his bike to Prince Rupert from Kitimat, ferried over to the Queen Charlottes and the ferried back home again. I am still so proud of him. I still remember, like it was yesterday, when we bought him his first mountain bike. It was June 1st, a nice warm summer night, and he got on his bike, said to us all "I am going to climb mountains with this bike" then rode over the garden hose and fell off. It was so funny. We had many good rides together - he was always so encouraging and positive. He was an amazing athlete. Oh to have one more ride with him.  Sigh.

I also found a diary that I kept in 1992 when living at home in Kitimat. I didn't have a chance to read any of it, but skimmed a few pages, and it is good. Too funny. I also found love letters that an old bf sent, Robert (Jocelyn, remember him????!!!!). I have to give those a read. They will be funny too. 

You know, I really think that having crap or clutter or junk, whatever you call it, is there for people who need to remember. Now, please don't think that I am condoning being a pack rat, but it's fun to look through things that remind you of your past. It's also important to be able to purge what you can and enjoy your newly organized house. Chris and I did really well - there were no disputes - phew. 

My mom, sister and nephew - Callum - headed over the Vancouver today for Callum's Spring Break Hockey Tournament. I hope that he plays great, I know he will. I bought him a new pair of runners and dropped them off at my mom's last night for her to bring them with her. He called on his way to the ferry this morning to thank me for them. He said that they will probably make him run faster. So cute.

I am not sure what we'll do for dinner tonight. We had a late lunch. I 'gourmet upped' a can of mushroom soup - by sauteing sliced mushrooms and dried oregano. Added them to the soup and topped with freshly grated parmesan. Nothing fancy, but it was a fast.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend. Don't forget to watch Hockey Night in Canada, first intermission - they should be chatting about Jack. Can't wait to hear it.

Until tomorrow.

Enjoy!

No comments: