Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy Birthday wee Debbie!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY - BIRTHDAY GIRL.
Today's is my sister, Debbie's, birthday. We are just home from having dinner with her and the boys and my mom. We had a good dinner, finished with a good cake, and a great visit. We spoiled Debbie this year - I usually do, I enjoy spoiling her - we got her an iPod, hot pink, and she loved it. She deserves it, and I hope that she is able to get some good use out of it.

As part of Debbie's birthday tradition, I take the boys out each year to shop for something for her. For years we have gone to Pier 1 Imports or Winners. The shopping spree usually consists of me saying "Don't touch that" "Please don't touch that" and/or "Do not touch your brother!". This year was pretty successful - not too much was touched - we had lots of laughs and only towards the end of the hour, was I saying "Ok, we are not here for you, we're here for your mom". On our way home - oh by the way, when we were heading home it was snowing! What snowing??? - Callum told me that Connor "Pants'd" him twice. Pants'd = pulling the pants down. Neat. Thankfully I missed that. Oh boys.


Jules had the table looking very birthday festive - it looked great. We reminisced about things from our childhood and I thought that I would share a couple of stories:
1. When we were little, I was about 5, I wanted a pair of clogs SO bad, but b/c our family friend Dusty Carver who was 2 years younger than me was wearing a pair and fell down her front stairs and broke her leg, I wasn't allowed a pair - thanks Dusty! So, Debbie made me a pair out of cardboard, cloth and staples. I LOVED them. I remember begging my mom to let me wear them to school. As a smart and loving mother, she didn't let me. At the time I couldn't see her reasoning, I now do. I remember my grade 2 teacher, Mrs. Brown, had a pair, and I was obsessed with them and I would always stare at her feet. I seriously had a huge fascination for them as a child. 
2. Debbie and I shared a room until we moved when I was 7. Before we moved, Debbie would wake me up at around 9 or 10 at night, make me tuck my nighty into my underwears and talk french. She would have been about 8 or 9 at the time so was actually learning french in school, I... was not. So, I would say things like "sherlluoeburkihs" and she would spaz at me and tell me "that is NOT french". So funny. Debbie has always be very creative and had a great imagination. 

I am very blessed to have such a wonderful sister and best friend. She is a loving mother, daughter and sister and I love her to bits. I hope that she has had a great birthday - and has a fantastic year. 

I learned some very sad news yesterday. Mena, who is the running clinic leader, emailed her Sole Sisters to tell us that her 3rd son (she has 4), Jack, has just been diagnosed with Leukemia. This is so devastating. She is the most amazing person and I know - even though I have only known her for a short time - that she is going to get through this with her son. She is one of the most positive and inspirational people that I have met and I know that she is able to spread her positivity and inspirations on. I am thinking positive thoughts, sending loving vibes and praying that Jack will come through this as healthy and strong as ever. If you have time, send a positive thought her way.

I am getting myself all ready for the run tomorrow morning. I am going to go out and do what I can do - have fun - work hard - be healthy - be strong and hope for the best. If I had a diary it would read something like this:

Dear Diary,
Tomorrow is the 5 K. Oh god, what if my alarm doesn't go off in time and I don't have enough time to shower and shave my legs. I'm wearing short yoga pants you know - so part of my calves will be showing and I don't want people to think that should be able to braid the leg hair (ok, it's not that bad I know, but you get my drift). Ok, what if I forget b/c of all of the excitement to visit the loo before we head out on the race - I will wet them for sure. Ok, what if I get lost? Ok, what if I am last? Ok, what if I actually just go out and do what I can do? Ok, let's go with that. Loves, C.

LAST CHANCE!!! Recipes for today - last day to submit. C. Mitchell Presents - Giving, and I can't wait to give some of my fave treats away. I have received some amazing recipes and am excited to share them with you all. 

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend - spoiling yourselves, taking care of yourselves and taking the time to love the ones that you love. 

I will write tomorrow and let you know how it all went. Thank you to everyone for sending me positive notes - I will think of them all as I am in my moment. 

Loves, 
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh Cheryl...the news of your friend's son made me cry! How sad!!
Before that, I did in fact get a chance to laugh out loud about your homemade clogs!! How funny!! I remember you bought a new pair in Victoria when I lived there.
Did your mom keep those paper clogs??
Wishing you a strong run...
Run.Cheryl.Run...................
:)

Anonymous said...

YOU are gonna kick butt today in that race friend!!!! You are going to focus on your breathing and listen to your body and you will feel so proud of yourself when you cross that finish line!!!

Go Cheryl, Go Cheryl it's your race day...

Tracy