Monday, March 9, 2009

Is it really March?

We had a bit of a winter blizzard today. I'm from the north, so it was like a good old fashioned Kitimat snow fall. Most of the morning I couldn't see out of my office window - the snow was coming down sideways - it was all white. I loved it. I love winter, so the snow for me was welcomed - however, when walking the pups tonight and having them all full of muddy toes and bellies, I was missing the sunny, dry weather we've been having.

Ok, it's Monday. Bring it on, second week of March.  I think that it's going to be another busy week - full of lots of stuff to do, LOTS. I plan on tidying, posting all of the recipes of those who entered, running, cooking, cleaning, mailing prezzies, and I'm sure so much more will come up. Oh and not in that order. Cutest thing just happened - Magnum saw a dog on tv eating a biscuit and he started growling and then barking at the dog. So cute.

This picture was forwarded to me from one of the Sole Sisters, Margot. You know when you think you look really good and then you see a picture of yourself and you realize that you didn't look as good? That's kind of how I was feeling when I saw this picture. But then, I saw passed the photo, and was like 'Hey, that's me, RUNNING!' Hopefully the next time you see me, it will be so fast that the camera won't be able to catch me. Ok, realistically, I will be looking more fit. The woman on the left is Victoria. She ran with me the entire way, and I was so lucky to have had her there. 

For tonight's dinner, I planned on making Jenny's - #1 winner - recipe of mini meatloaves. I did end up making them, but not following Jenny's recipe to a T - only b/c I didn't have the ingredients - not sure what I was thinking when shopping yesterday. Along with her mini meatloaf recipe, Jenny also posted two vegetable dishes that I am so excited to try.  Before I post the recipes, I decided that I want to try and do one other fun thing. I will try and have them for you within the next couple of days.

I made orzo tonight and the mini meatloaves. Orzo is one of Chris and mine's favourite dishes. My aunt Barb made orzo for my mom, YEARS ago. She called me to tell me what she had and how she thought it was made. So, I tried making it, it turned out, and I now make every so often. I am not sure what Aunt Babs' orzo tastes, I'm sure that is incredible, but this is my recipe. This is my 'winter' recipe and I have a 'summer' recipe that I will share with you once summer heads our way.

Orzo with mushrooms, tomatoes and spinach
I actually add so many different ingredients to this. Mushrooms and tomatoes are my favourite. It's a versatile dish, that is easy to adjust.

1 cup orzo - boiled
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic - minced
1 bag of spinach
12 cherry tomatoes 
2 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
Kosh and pepper 

Once your pasta is almost fully cooked, start to saute your mushrooms in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add your garlic and saute until your mushrooms are cooking, drain and rinse your orzo and add it to your skillet, stir in the orzo to be coated in the olive oil and mushrooms. Then add your chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat. After about 5 minutes, add your tomatoes and spinach and continue to simmer. Eventually the orzo will start to absorb the stock. Once the dish is ready - it will be so creamy - you can then add the parmesan.  This dish is so hearty and flavourful. 
Chris has rated this a 5. 

I treated myself to a new pair of runners today - a friend hooked me up. Can't wait to give them a try. I have this weird thing about keeping my runners nice and clean - so if it is still snowy tomorrow - they may not get used. 

Ok friends, I hope that you all had a good weekend and are ready to tackle a new week. 

Stay tuned for the delicious recipes.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Beth said...

what are those funny scone-y looking things on top of the Orzo?

Bah - sadly, I did NOT get the hookup. Full price for Bethy. But I did get a nice pair of new runners. Apparently, you tried on the same ones but 'didn't like the colours'. Good thing we have different taste or it would be like that 90210 prom episode where Kelly and Brenda get the SAME DRESS! :-o