Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Running for my life - part 4.

Run wee lassie, run!

Tonight's run was a treat. Our running clinic leader, Mena, ran with our group tonight. I thought since last week we did the neighbourhood, that tonight we would do a nice, flat run on the Goose - we didn't! We ran a very similar route to last week's, which included lots of hills. Mena is a great lady - she is full of energy, full of inspiration, full of encouragement. She ran with our group - leading, encouraging us all and ran with me a couple of times. She ran beside me as a I struggled a hill and ran beside me when I tackled a flat part with loads of energy. Her words when running the hills were so helpful - "light on your feet", "shoulders back", "you're doing great". I don't know what happens to me when I run and people give me their strength with words of encouragement, but I get so emotional. So emotional. Is it because I am actually doing what they are saying - not faking it? I can't fake it - it's real - is that why it's so hard b/c I am exposing myself and not hiding my struggle? Whatever it was tonight, it made me feel powerful and challenged all at the same time.

I wasn't going to mention this, but what the heck, I am going to do my first running race this weekend. March 8th - Esquimalt 5 K. I am not going to run the entire race, who knows I might get close, but my plan is to do 4 min run, 1 min walk. When I left the clinic tonight, I committed to myself to do this, and I broke down. Again, not sure what the emotions are, but they are there. I thought about how proud my dad would be of me, how proud Chris is, all of the encouraging words from loved ones. The emotions are good - they are healthy. I'm not going to fight them - they make me who I am - they make me run. 

Running for my life - can only continue to get me to where I want to go.

I am sending a huge BRAVO to my gf, Beth. Your run for your life has just started - be proud of yourself, you deserve it. It will only get better. I'm not going to lie - it will get harder, but the rewards will be unmeasurable. So proud of you!

Tonight's dinner consisted of a little pasta from Sunday and I made a fancy little sandwich. I had a half loaf of focaccia bread leftover - small loaf - I cut it in half, spread a small amount of marg on each side - topped with thin slices of tomato - kosher and cracked pepper - then 2 thin slices of mozzarella. Baked in a 375 oven for 15 mins. They were delicious! Chris loved it. I love it when he loves something I make - he loves tomatoes, loves focaccia and loves something to fill his belly after a long day. He deserves it.

The night is drawing to an end. I feel powerful right now - I feel like I am surrounded by so much good in my life - I am blessed.

Don't forget to send me your recipes - I can't wait to try them.

Rest well. Reward yourself with much a long nap.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I've been racking my brain trying to think of Cheryl-worthiness recipes!!LOL
I'm so proud of your running. Me and my friend will be starting...I finally have not one ounce of pain in my knee...LOL...until I hit the pavement.
That is amazing that you're doing the race. At the end of my running clinic last year I was running 5 k...you can do it!!
It's my goal to someday to enter a fun run...
:)

Jenny said...

I'm gonna plug your contest on my blog..is that okay...not tonight...I need to head to bed.
:)