Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Running for my life - part 5. AND Guest Chef Jenny!!!!

I'm home - I went, I conquered, I made it, I am complete for the day. Ok, now for what really happened: I went, I struggled, I was last the entire run (except when they did the loop and scoop), I ran, I walked part way up a very steep hill, I cried, I made it and I am complete for the day. It was a rough night, but as much as I am finding it rough, the more I am finding it easier. It was a great night for a run - it was nice being able to run in the light for a change.

The highlights of the night - a speech from Mena that one of the leaders read out. I cried. She is going through probably the hardest thing of her life, but she is able to pull whatever she can to help us all be inspired and want to keep going. I am truly blessed that I have met her. There are many different groups putting together fundraising campaigns for Mena and her family: there are options to donate funds or to donate items for a Silent Auction. If anyone would like to donate something to this cause, to help out the Westhaver family while they take care of their little Jack, please let me know.

We also had a guest speaker, Gordie Tupper. Check him out HERE. He is a local news guy that has been in the community for years. He has lost 150 pounds. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS!!!! He did it the healthy way, following the zone diet, doing water aerobics twice a week and then gradually boosting his cardio activities. So amazing. He is definitely an inspiration. Even though he wears a ring on each of his pointer fingers, he is still a good person to come and motivate people. PS - can't do the pointer finger rings or the middle finger ring on guys. I know - it's dumb. Whatever.

I did struggle with the run tonight - but it's definitely a different struggle than it used to be. I know that my endurance is getting longer - I now am waiting for the interval whistle to blow after about 4 1/2 minutes as opposed to 1 minute. We ran 5 and 1 tonight, 7 times. We're getting up there. Soon we will probably be doing 10 and 1 - can I do it? Who knows, but I better give 'er all I gots!

C. Mitchell Presents - Guest Chef Series: JENNY

Now for something exciting. Jenny was our #1 winner in the Giveaway. I have known Jenny since we were 13. We both grew up in Kitimat. We did a couple of years in Victoria together at Camosun - and we had a lot of fun together. Jenny is a great person - so loving, so kind, so funny, so inspirational and I am glad that we have connected after so many years.

I asked Jenny the following - so that we can get to know our very first Guest Chef.

1. What is your favourite meal to eat? To cook? My favourite meal is butter chicken...yumminess. I could live off of the stuff. Generally when I make it I make enough to do butter chicken wraps for the next day.
2. If you could have dinner with anyone - anyone at all - who would it be? I'd love to have dinner with my dad...(does that count)...Just one more dinner with him, where he could make me laugh, I could roll my eyes at him making a mess all over his shirt and just to enjoy his company. I'd make him a dish that included my mashed potatoes just to hear him say to my mom"Danna, you really should put somethiing different in your patatas!" and she'd throw him a dirty look!!
3. What is your most memorable meal? When Scott, Shaun(his twin bro) and I were backpacking through Agrigento, Sicily we befriended a Siciian. He promised to take us to a restaurant that wasn't known to tourists. It was the most amazing meal ever. We dined on seafood, pasta, and salad in the most unique little Sicilian restaurant. He ordered everything for us and it was mouth watering. The ambience was perfect, and it will always be a fond memory.
4. Lemons or limes? Lemons...yummy
5. Favourite kitchen utensil or appliance?
My favourite appliance is my electric skillet. I use for everything...sauces, ground meat, pancakes....I'd be lost without it.

Jenny supplied three recipes - and they all look fabulous. Give them a try and let us know how you liked them.

Mini Meatloaf Muffins:(I've (Jenny) altered)
Ingredients:
~1 pkg lean ground meat(I use half ground pork and lean ground beef, but tried it with turkey and it was delish)
~1 box of Stove Topped Stuffing Chicken flavour
~garlic to taste
~1 can of pizza sauce
~shredded mozza
~1 cup of water

Spray your muffin tins with a vegetable spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl mix the meat, water and stovetop stuffing together. Add the mixture into each muffin tin. Top with pizza sauce.
Bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and add grated cheese over the top. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
Enjoy.

Can serve with Mashed Cauliflower.
Simply boil the crap out of the cauliflower (about a head) for about 10-15 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk and some butter to the mixture as well as pepper, garlic...kosher salt...
and voila...delish delight!!

Or with a vegetable medley...
cut up zucchinis, eggplant, mushroom, onion and peppers. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes(keep checking it's not overcooking). Remove from oven and add grated parmesan or mozza cheese....bake for another 5 minutes or until melted....
Yumminess!!


I am excited about all the recipes that we can all try. I just had a thought - we are all chefs in our own ways, we are all runners in our own way - regardless of how we cook, or how we run. We all have our own ways of getting things done and it is so important for us all to share our secrets, to share our strategies to share our thoughts and to share what we can of ourselves.

I hope that you all had an excellent day and that your dreams are about how exciting Hump Day will be. Oh ya, half way there friends.

Enjoy!