Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Running for my life - part 6.


These got me through the night tonight. They did - they were my pals, they were my hope for finishing and they were my heart and soul. 

I went to running tonight with something that doesn't help - sorry, I went to running tonight WITHOUT something - energy. I'll admit I'm having a little PMS - so my body is revolting a bit, and I am feeling a little emotional.

We started the night with a great speech from a 'stand-in Mena' - oh Mena, how I miss you (although the sister did a great job). One of our topics was 'Adversity'. Mena sent a note to be read and talked about the adversity that she is going through right now with her son Jack. Then we watched a video on Rick and Dick Hoyt - the father/son team that has finished a triathlon. It was a very emotional video for me. I always am emotional when I see how people can accomplish these amazing feats. Then I am sitting there and thinking, how can I feel frustrated that I have to go for a run tonight, and am so tired - when Mena is going through the most difficult time of her life, this father/son team are doing a triathlon together and the dad is doing this for his son - and his son is his inspiration. I just felt so bad - I have a blessed life and I should be thankful that I am out and able to make the choice to run. 

The run started out rough. Then got easier. We did hills, we did last 30 second sprints - and I sprinted! We encouraged one another, had a lot of fun and in the end enjoyed it. Enjoyed it immensely. I have figured out why the first couple of intervals are always the hardest for me. My body is not warmed up. I find that by the 3rd interval, that it is easier. My breathing starts to calm, I feel light on my feet and I am doing it. I need to remember this for each week. I am proud of myself for getting out there, for not skipping out like I SOOOO wanted to - and for accomplishing another week's goal. It was an exciting thought tonight to think that we ran for 42 minutes tonight - and a couple of weeks ago, 42 minutes was our work out time - including the walking and running. I have so much more to do, but it's getting easier. 

One run at a time. 

Dinner tonight was:
Pizza. Don't judge me. I just felt like not making dinner tonight - and didn't feel like having to come home and put something together. The pizza was good. It was a treat. Whatever. 

My evening has ended with (except with the damn pizza) me wanting to feel the 'high' from my run - feel that when I take care of myself. Spread the health. I want the lifestyle of being active and having no obstacles. I'm pumped - I am embracing this feeling and plan on spreading the word.

Enough for now.

Loves.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you for my olive oil, lovey!! It...actually tastes a little like olives, which believe it or not, I've never experienced with an olive oil. Here was my first project with it:

Greek Salad Dressing

1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1/3 cup red wine vinegar

In a container with a tight-fitting lid, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and mustard. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

C. Mitchell said...

Sounds so good Beth! Try the olive oil drizzled over veggies to roast with a bit of kosh and pepper. You will love.

So happy you likes.

C.