Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Running for my life - part 7.

RUN

Can you believe it - part 7! I know that I have done more than 7 weeks, but the real process started 7 weeks ago. We ran for 49 minutes tonight! 49 minutes! I'm amazed by that. 7 intervals of 7 minutes each with 1 minute in between. As usual the first two were tough - my body hurt, my shoulders were aching, but my breathing was ok. And then somewhere on the run - it was just happening. That feeling again - it's a common feeling now - that I am just running - hanging out on the trail, concentrating on doing what I have to do - just running. At one point, my thoughts were not of 'oh god, please let that damn whistle blow' but more of 'hm, I am almost a little bored right now'. I love it! I start to love the struggle and I love that I am finally just saying to myself - 'you can do this, you will do this, you ARE doing this'. It's a treat to accomplish another successful week. 

I also love the group of ladies that I am running with. We are a small group and we are all so encouraging of one another. It is so amazing to not only feel myself improving from week to week, but to see everyone else as well. They are all so fun - we laugh together, we encourage one another, we bitch and moan together and are always full of high-fives at the end of the run. Mena had such an amazing idea to put this group of women together. She brought us all together, we're here for a reason - those who want to be, and we are all reaping the benefits. 

I also noticed tonight that I am running with less emotions. Before, I would be teary eyed numerous times throughout the run, but lately I haven't been. I think that it comes down to what I figured out where the emotions were coming from before; I am running and everything is out there - nothing can be hidden. And now that I am improving, I don' t have to worry about being exposed. 

I am not going to lie, I would have loved to have got out of running tonight - but I am so glad that I didn't. I have BLISS right now. Promise yourself, that if you are going to do something, and you want to talk yourself out of it, DON'T. It will be hard, but in the end it will feel so much better. I am promising myself to do my runs this week. I will struggle, but in the end I will love it. 

Ok, dinner was pretty much non-existent. Tomorrow's will be better. I have a bunch of spinach, fresh mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and red peppers calling out to create a masterpiece with. If you have any ideas - please send me a suggestion.

Friends - anything is possible. Believe in yourself. Only you can make a difference in your life - and you will. Remember life is grand - breathe it all in.

Loves.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Thank you for the gift!! Scott has already been using the kosher salt. Very much appreciated!
Way to go with the running...you are such an inspiration. Scott's going to be my running partner and I'm super stoked...:)

margo said...

Way to run Shirley
I am breathing...breathing it all in. Beautiful.
Miss ya and need to hear your laugh
xo
jeanie

Beth said...

glad to hear you didn't wet them, love.

I made a "Bundle of Veggies" the other night - so simple, but hot damn, so good. I preheated the oven to 375. Then I made a packet out of tinfoil and put it on a cookie sheet (in case of leakage, though it didn't occur) and put in whole mushrooms (i halved the biggies), cherry tomatoes, chopped zucchini (aimed for about the same size as the tomatoes/mushrooms) and coarsely chopped red onion. I mixed some olive oil (I have some really good stuff a good friend gave me), a bit of balsamic, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, sea salt and pepper and brushed all the veggies with it. Then I closed 'er up and chucked 'er in the oven for 40 minutes.

I planned to eat it with chicken, and had made enough veggies for leftovers...instead, I skipped the chicken and ate all the veggies!

whoopsadoodle.