Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Take care of yourself!

That's my motto for today. I have been thinking about this most of the day. I had a few things come up today and over the past couple of days, and without including the details - I have just realized that it is so important for us to take care of ourselves. I think that when you take care of yourself first, that you can then take care of everything else and everyone (who you need to) next. 

I can't preach about this, because only in the very recent years, have I started to realize this. This has been a very difficult journey for me - a work in progress - and something that I need to be conscience about every day. My struggle with realizing this, was that I felt that taking care of everything else in my life - made me feel good and so I must be ok. But really, I realize now that it was so the opposite. I was more worried about having a clean kitchen and bathroom, making sure that dinner was on the table and the dogs were always walked at the same time. Ok, I still like to make sure the pups are walked - but I am a little more flexible. I also make sure that we have a healthy dinner and that the house is 'somewhat' cleaned*, but I don't let those be a priority. 

*My cleaning lady has quit. She has a full time job. My one clean was the best. It was good while it lasted.  I need to do the bathroom - she's not coming back. Sigh.

I knew that in order for me to be healthy, that I needed to make myself number one. I didn't really realize that this would be so difficult. When I started on my journey I thought that I would just be. Just be strong, capable, willing and it would all be really easy. It wasn't.  I had to recognize  what was causing me stress, what I could do differently, what would still be there for me if it wasn't attended to right away. 

I am still struggling on the journey. But it's a different challenge. I had stress in my life before, and it actually made me sick - now, when I am feeling stress - I make myself realize what it is, and do something about it as soon as possible.

I know that we are all different - that's what makes the world go around. But, I think that taking care of ourselves is something that should be the same. I guess the way in which we do it, is different. I think that we need to and should be asking for help from those around us. But it's important to remember that we can't solely rely on them. I also think that it's really important that we surround ourselves with other people that can help us on our journeys - and people that you can help along. We are all on a journey - and we can all use help in getting there.

Over and out.

Wait - a few more things.
I mailed giftys!!!! Jenny and Shannon, your packages should be arriving in 3 days. I hope you like them. 
Dinner tonight was an old comfort food standby. Meat pie - and roasted veggies.  I had a craving for something comforting tonight. I had a crap food day today at work - I didn't eat breakfast - didn't have a chance - had a donut - really healthy Mitchell. Then ate lunch way to late - a veggie sandwich on whole wheat - I guess that wasn't too bad - but I just didn't feel great about those choices. See journey above. HA!
The pups and I had a great walk - there was a lot of stopping and sniffing - we haven't had a walk in the hood in ages b/c we've been doing park walks - so they had a lot of catching up to do. 
Alright - I need to make lunches, do some dishes, and get ready for a healthy night of some good sleeps.

Be good to yourself. Nobody else will. (ironically sung by Journey)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I've been really struggling with this as well. I work hard at balancing the chequing account, make sure the kids are leading a balanced life and I'm the one person I put everything off until last. I leave my workout til the end of the night when I'm exhausted and mentally spent,instead of first thing in the morning.
That's my new goal for myself...focusing on me...
:)

C. Mitchell said...

Good for you Jenny! You deserve that. And really in the end, it can only benefit everyone else, but mostly you. Be selfish. I think that it's ok to do that.

Your gifty is on the way - let me know if you likey!

Loves, C.