Saturday, March 21, 2009

Welcome, Spring.

Happy 1st day of spring, happy Saturday. I have to be honest, spring has never been my most favourite season. I think that it's because growing up we had 5-6 months of winter (which I love) and when spring came it was always really wet from all the snow melting, always dirty, and there was that limbo stage where you couldn't wear winter clothes but you also couldn't wear spring-summer clothes b/c it was still somewhat cold. I still sometimes struggle with that transition. Anyways, I love fall. I love the crispness of the air, the changing colours of the leaves, the chance to buy new fall clothes. I am, however, learning to love spring. The longer days, the chance to be outside and enjoy the warm sun, knowing summer is just around the corner and seeing all the new life of flowers that have been hibernating all winter. 

TGIF went well. It was a good end to the week. We had a great night at the Beagle - Chris and I like to call it the Reagle Beagle. There were 10 of us. We got to meet our friend, David's, new gf. She is very sweet - they seem like a cute couple. David is our resident house sitter. He is house-sitting for us when we go to Mexico in 16 days!!!!! He hasn't taken care of the pups before - and he is VERY excited! I am so relieved to leave them in good hands. And it is refreshing to know that he is looking forward to it. He has already taken the Friday off - so that he will be home with them for 3 days. He is planning lots of dog walks down at Dallas Road. They will be in good hands. 

Today was a nice day. Magnum woke me at the crack of dawn - 7:03 AM - he was happy to go back to bed after his outing, and after he finished playing 'Billy Goat' all over Chris and I, we were able to go back to sleep. Hello 9:23 AM - wahooo! Chris did a SB's run for a Vanilla Tea Misto for me and a coffee for him and then made poached eggs - breakfast of champions. I made it to the mall to get a few Easter treats for my niece and nephew, got a nice pair of new shoes, and after way too many pairs of pants tried on, I finally found a pair. FRIG. Ok, not sure if you can relate, but I have been feeling really great lately. In fact, yesterday the pair of jeans that I was wearing, were able to be pulled down without the zipper and button being undone. So today, I am feeling good, and then dressing room number one gave me a beating. How can the size that I am trying on be too tight, when the same size I had on yesterday be falling off of me. So I went and tried on other pants, same thing. 3rd store, I found a pair that I really like, thankfully. I came to the conclusion that the 'pant companies' are making pants smaller. What else could it be? The only possible answer! Right? Whatever. I have always had a hard time with dress pants, I am a jeans girl, so always struggle to find a pair that I like.

Chris and I hung the drapes - hemming will be done next weekend. Everything is tidy and put away downstairs, and it is looking like a really great space. I am really proud of us. We finally took care of bidnid (business) - finished a project. Here is a pic of the computer room. I will show a pic of the desk when it is fully completed. We still have a bit of a 'wire' issue. Chris has assured me that it will be tidied up.

Please don't look at the mark on the rug - that will be my next cleaning project.

We just finished a great dinner. Jules was supposed to come, but she wasn't feeling up to it. We had pork tenderloin with sauteed apples in peach and apricot wine served with roasted vegetables. 

Pork tenderloin Sims Style

2 pork tenderloins - small 
2 tbsp of dry pork rub

Heat up your skillet, add olive oil. Rub both sides of the pork with the rub. I used a rub that I bought in the grocery store, and it's really good. Place both tenderloins in the hot pan and heat both sides for about 3-4 minutes per side. 
Transfer the tenderloins to a pan lined with aluminum foil and cook for about 30 minutes at 425. 
In the same skillet, add 1/4 cup of white wine. Keep heat quite low, add 2 cut up apples that have been cored and peeled and cut into small chunks. Add 1/4 of peach jam or if you have homemade peach and apricot wine, add that. My brother and his wife gave me some homemade wine that they made this summer from the peaches and apricots from their place. So good. Anyways, simmer with a lid on the pan.
When the pork is done, remove from the oven and cover them with tin foil and let sit for at least 10 minutes. This will force all of the juices to stay in leaving the pork so tender. 
And that's it. Slice against the grain in thin strips, top with the apples. 

I roasted the veggies - butternut squash, red pepper, zucchini and cherry tomatoes - drizzled with olive oil, kosher and pepper - placed on a cookie sheet for about 35-40 mins in a 425 oven. When they are done, remove them from the oven, turn it off, and grate fresh parmesan over top and place the pan back in the oven for 5 minutes. 

Chris rated this a 5!

Tomorrow we are off to Vancouver for the day for my niece, Haraya's, Christening. My sister and nephews are coming with my mom and I - so it should be an interesting trip. It will be a long day - so I am treating myself to having Monday off. I am looking forward to meeting Haraya - and seeing my brother and family. It will be a grand day.

I hope you are all enjoying the weekend and the first day of spring.

Enjoy! 

No comments: