Monday, April 27, 2009

Eggsalent Eggplant

Hello Monday.  Oh wee Monday -you  came far too fast this week. 

I am recovering from yesterday. One sore left shin and a sore right thigh. But other than that, it's all great. I guess it's the pain that goes with the thrill of finishing. I confirmed my time - 1:23:23 - I am happy with that - when I become an 'elite' runner - I will worry about the time. Good one - elite runner. That's good humour in the running circles - well not really, just between Maegan and I. 

So, started this morning with a trip to the dentist. I dislike having my teeth cleaned, very much. I know that it's nice to have teeth cleaned, but the process of it all, I dislike very much. I think the lying upside down with my head tilted back, and the flouride is yuck. 

Ok - I am running behind here, just realized that. Not sure where the day went - so just going to add a new fave that I will definitely make again. I looked online for an idea, and just twisted it up, and it turned out pretty good.

Eggplant Parmesan 

I love eggplant! I love the colour of it - the beautiful colour that nature creates - do you ever think, how does that happen?? Amazing.

1 eggplant* - thinly sliced into rounds or lengthwise
1 zucchini - thinly sliced into rings
2-3 eggs
1 cup of bread crumbs - I used panko this time, but would probably use whole wheat next time
1 bottle of pureed tomatoes - probably around 2 cups (600ml) - the one I used had basil in it too - love this stuff.
Shredded mozzarella - just pick the amount you want - I used low-fat and it was really good.
Parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup

*I cut this into the thin rounds - but I may try cutting them lengthwise next time, as breading the rounds, took quite some time.

Pre-heat oven to 400.
Prepare two bowls - one with the bread crumbs and one with the eggs. Line baking sheets with parchment paper - so much easier to clean. Dip the eggplant and zucchini into the beated egg (I used one egg at at time - you may need more than 2 eggs) and then dip the vegetables into the breadcrumbs. Once they are all done - bake them in the oven for 10 minutes - 5 minutes each side.

In a baking dish, pour 3/4 cups of the tomato puree. Cover the tomato puree with one layer of the eggplant, you may want to add a few extra to do another layer - just depending on the size of your dish and how much zucchini and eggplant you have. Then add 1/2 of your shredded mozzarella and 1/2 of the parmesan. Then repeat this again with the tomato puree, zucchini and if you have any eggplant leftover. I then added a bit of the remaining puree and then topped it with the cheese. 



I baked this for 35 minutes - when the cheese was nicely browning. 

Chris LOVED this. He rated this a 5!!!! He said that he doesn't like eggplant - but he loved this. I would love you to try this and let me know how you liked it -  and if you altered it in any way.

I hope you all had a great day. I am still planning on posting pictures of some of the meals that we had in Mexico - and my thoughts of what I think that the recipes are. Stay tuned.

Tomorrow is a run-free Tuesday. Don't worry I won't go into withdrawl. I will be celebrating our Tuesday run - at a wrap up party - should be a good time. 

Think positively, smile like you mean it, be good to yourself and others. 

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I run tomorrow. Ughh....yesterday's was brutal and I'm only on walk 3 run 2 x9.
I bow down to you oh great one!!
Great recipe...I'll have to try it!

Cheryl said...

Jenny, that's awesome!!! It might not seem like much to you now (but it is) but you will build up your endurance so quickly. Good on you!!!