Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Running for my life - part 8.

r u n 

I just clued in that the 'part' of this series is also the amount of time that we are running. Last night we ran 8 minutes. 8 minutes - 7 times. 56 minutes! I'm a little shocked that I actually accomplished that. It was a great night. There were a few highs and lows of the night. Let's start with the Highs.
Highs: I finished. I ran 55 minutes and 40 seconds. 20 seconds were dedicated to walking up an incline and I just needed to catch my breath. It was a beautiful night for a run - when we went into warm up, it was dark and spitting rain - when we left on our run, the sun was out. I ran in the front of the group - I worked hard at staying there. I loved it - even though I didn't really feel like going. And the best high of all, Mena came. We were all listening to a guest speaker and she came up at the end to surprise us all. It was very emotional. I began to sob. I was so excited to see her - and still am emotional about it now. She has been through so much in the last 27 days and I was so blessed to see her. She is so encouraging and inspirational - and even though she has been through probably the hardest thing that a parent has to endure, she came back to give us encouragement. To me, she is full of hope. I heart her. 
Lows: I felt like I had to do 'something' the entire run - god  if that doesn't make you run, not sure what does. Sometimes 10 minutes felt like an hour. And sometimes 2 minutes into the run, I thought I was going to puke. I decided to wear a new jacket - so our first night 'out on the town' - meaning we ran on the main roads, and the damn jacket kept riding up - so the fuscia tshirt that I had on was full on glowing to the world and the bottom of the jacket was right under my boobies. Note to self: don't wear that jacket again. 

I've had lots going on - busy couple of days. Today I was at part 3 of a leadership training course. It was good. Lots accomplished. I left with lots of questions that came up - not just that affect leadership in the workforce, but life in general. Who are you being? What do you stand for? What are you proud of? Find it - Live it. I think that these are such good questions - and things that we should all ask ourselves. I think that these are going to be areas that I dissect over the next little while. It's important to know who we are and what we stand for, right?

So our dear little Magnum (that's him - right there - the look like he is saying 'oh what are you talking about?), seems like he is forgetting that the inside of the house is not his biffy. Two times
on Saturday - nice one Mags. Then yesterday, I called home before Chris went to Kung Fu - and he seemed totally irritated - apparently Magnum had done a jobbie on our bedroom rug and Chris didn't see, so stepped in it and tracked it throughout two rooms. He was so mad. I found it funny - only b/c it didn't happen to me. Thankfully it was all cleaned up when I got home. I am really hoping that this is 'out of his system' before Dog Nanny, David, comes to stay with them. 
                                                                                                                      
Exciting news - Chris got us tickets to U2!!!! Our friend Heidi, got the word on pre-pre sales - so she hooked us up good, and Chris took care of bidnid. It's the same day as Callum's birthday, so hopefully we will celebrate his day on the weekend before or after. 

Last night was a Subway night. No cooking. After a run - it was late - so easy dinns it was.

Sunday night I made Chris' favourite - Chicken Pot Pie - so as promised, here is the recipe.
This is a low fat version, that I took from my fave magazine, Cooking Light. I didn't follow it to a T tonight, I couldn't find the magazine, but I think that this is pretty close. 

Chris' Favourite Chicken Pot Pie

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cooked then cut in small cubes
6 small red potatoes - cut and boiled - cut into small bite size pieces
3 carrots - sliced
1 onion - chopped
1/2 cup corn - I buy organic frozen and that way I can pull out what I need, when I need it
1/2 cup peas - same as above
3 tbsp flour
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup to 1 cup of Chicken stock
1 square of puff pastry
1 egg

In a medium sized pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and saute your chopped onion for about 8 minutes. Once the onion is starting to look lovely and golden, add your carrots. Cover and continue to cook for about 3 minutes - keep an eye on them - don't let them burn. In a measuring cup, add flour and then milk and whisk with a fork to make a thick - paste (not sure what to call it really) add kosher and pepper. Add the thicken paste to the onion and carrots. Stir it all together. Keep it on a low heat, to prevent burning. Add chicken stock - gradually. Add the stock to form a gravy consistency. Add the potatoes, corn and peas, chicken and mix it all together. To season, I like adding poultry seasoning, fresh chopped rosemary, and sage. For the pastry, so easy. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to a thin layer - ensure that it is large enough to cover your dish. I always use an oval shaped, low sided casserole dish. Place your chicken mixture in to the dish and gently cover it with the pastry. Whisk an egg and brush it on with a pastry brush to cover the entire pastry. It doesn't have to be put on thick, brush on lightly. In the center of the pie, with a sharp knife, cut small slits - I cut them in a circle - to make almost like a star. 

Bake in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes. The pastry becomes golden and the smells from the herbs is delightful.


Give this a try. I will post Chris' other Chicken Pot Pie recipe - the easy method - another time. Chris rates this a 5+ everytime.

So, my friends, I need to go make dinner. It will be gnocchi with asparagus, tomatoes, probably mushrooms and spinach and chicken. 

What are you making for dinner?

Enjoy! 

No comments: