Thursday, April 30, 2009

Where have I been - out and about. Tuesday night I went to the wrap up party for the running clinic - long night - it was nice to visit with ladies that you have spent 13 Tuesdays with - and be able to have normal conversations with them - instead of the usual panting, swearing, sweating... 

Wednesday - long day - went to post last night and couldn't get on the net - something was up - it's been cured. I thought that I was starting to have a little withdrawal and then realized that just vegging in front of the tv was a good idea.

Today is my Grandad Mitchell's birthday. He was a wonderful man - and I miss him so. I am picturing him with my grandma and my dad having a wee nip of scotch and clapping his hands as he beats them both to a game of cribbage. 

What I have to report:
- I have signed up for the Oak Bay 1/2 Marathon on May 24th. Don't worry - I think some of you just said 'oh $hit - good luck with that one C' - I am on a relay team - 4 ladies - so we all only have to run 1 leg of it. 2 of the runs are under 5 K, 1 is 5.1K and 1 is 7K. I will 'not' be doing the 7K - well I hope that I don't have to. I am on a team with two Sole Sisters, that I don't know, and my friend Tracy - who is definitely Sole Sister worthy. I am really looking forward to it - it will give me something to keep running for. And I'm not going to lie, it kind of sounds cool to me to be part of a marathon. 

- CANUCKS just scored - Demitra!!!!! Wahoo - Canucks 1 Chicago 0. 
There will be lots of hockey for the next little bit - and I love it. Chris is pumped that his team is in round 2. He gets a bit 'involved' during games, especially the play-offs.

- Tomorrow we're going fishing. We are so excited. Chris and I bought fly fishing rods 2 summers ago, and have not got a lot of use out of them. For Chris' birthday last September, I bought him a fishing charter down the Cowichan River - so we are going to drift down the river and hopefully learn a lot. The day is supposed to be full of sun - so what more could we ask for.

- Our front yard got a facelift yesterday. One of Chris' Kung Fu students (well he's on a hiatus right now) has a landscaping business - so he came by to do a nice spring clean up for us and give the garden some love - adding some gorgeous bark mulch. It looks awesome. Sigh. 


We had  a cherry blossom in the corner of our yard, but it was 'deteriorating' - our neighbour actually called the city to complain. I am sad that it is gone - it was beautiful. I have a really hard time when trees are cut down - I am sure that they can feel it.


I haven't really been cooking to much.  My new thing lately is just protein and then vegetables. I stopped eating red meat probably 18 years ago. I never really like steak or roast beef - loved hamburger, but that was about it. Then they were saying at the time that red meat wasn't good for you. So, I stopped and didn't touch it at all until maybe 2 years ago - when I would try a piece of Chris' steak. Well, my hiatus from red meat is partially over. I have been cooking up some steaks for Chris and have had one for myself. I am not going to become a full on meatlover - but I think that from time to time, I may cook one up for myself.

Tonight I made steak, brussel sprouts and and a salad with avocado, tomato and yellow pepper - dressing is a quick pour of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some kosh and pepper. A super easy dinner, made in about 20 minutes.

Steak Sims Style
So you don't really need to barbeque to have a good steak. This is the easiest recipe, and the flavours are incredible. I am not really knowledgeable of cuts of meat - but these steaks that I have made - are baseball cuts or medallions.

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Pat your meat (what??) with paper towel and then drizzle one side with a very very small amount of olive oil. Then sprinkle with Kosher and pepper (ground pepper is the very best) - massage the s&p in and then do the other side. While you are doing this, heat your skillet over medium to high heat - ideally use a skillet that can go in the oven. I have my trusty cast iron, and it works well. Place the steak in the pan and cook on each side (top and bottom) for two minutes each side. Cook the sides as well. Once all of the sides have been cooked - place the pan in the oven for 8 minutes.

After 8 minutes, remove from the oven and cover with tin foil and let sit so those juices tender the inside - about 10 minutes.

If you aren't a steak eater, or if you only like bbq steak - I would encourage you to give this a try.  Let me know if you try it and love it.

Ok friends - I have to finish watching the game - run to Safeway with Chris to pick up some fresh Halibut that a friend brought him - make some lunch for our adventure tomorrow and sleep. I am trying not to get too excited about packing a lunch - oh man - it's hard though. 

Loves to all. 

C.

PS - I forgot to take a picture on Sunday - these are the lovely flowers that my mom sent to me to wish me good luck on my race. She is always thoughtful and generous. Thanks Mama.

No comments: