Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Fast food.

Hello Wednesday. Wow, this week is smokin' by. I'm not complaining - love a week that goes by fast.

I had a nice surprise when I got home today. Our gardener friend, Kerry, came by and edged our gardens, gave them a good weeding and topped it off with some gorgeous, rich bark mulch. It looks lovely. Chris gave the grass a good cutting, so it all good and ready for summer. I am hoping to have time this weekend to go and pick up plants for my pots and tomatoes and squash plants for my little veggie garden. I love shopping for them, love planting them and even more, love how they progress from week to week and see how they turn out. Garden bliss. I'm hoping that the spring/summer weather will show up and stay. 

Tonight's blog is titled 'Fast Food' b/c when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to make for dinner - I knew that I wanted to make something healthy, and fast. So, that's what I did. I sometimes, really don't feel like making dinner. I just want to come home, do what I need to do - walk the pups, take a breath, visit, whatever - and not have to do dinner. I sometimes cheat - pick up something from M&M or buy a roast chicken - I know that when Chris comes home at the end of a very long day, that he wants to have something to fill his belly. He is always appreciative of whatever I make, which is always nice.

Ok, back to Fast Food. Tonight's dinner was healthy and super easy. 

Fast Food Chicken and Spinach with Roasted Veggies 
1 medium sized onion - diced
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into small chunks
1 cello bag or bunch of spinach
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp of dried oregano
1/4 cup of chicken stock
Minced garlic - if you like

In a heated skillet, drizzle a small amount of olive oil and add your onions - give them a dash of kosher. Saute on medium heat for about 8 minutes. Add chicken, cook for about 2 minutes and then add your lemon juice. If you feel like adding a bit of the zest too, go for it - so good. Once your chicken is cooked, probably about 7 minutes, add your spinach to the skillet and add your stock as well. Continue to cook your spinach - maybe another 5 minutes - and that's it! So easy - low fat, good for you and 20 minutes in total. 

If you wanted something else to go with this, you could serve it with pita bread and tzatziki - it goes so nicely with the chicken and the lemon.

While you are cooking your chicken - crank up your oven to 425 and get ready for another healthy fast food dish.  I have made this many times before. The only thing that I did differently this time, was use only a small amount of olive oil, and on my parchment lined baking sheet that I topped with zucchini, red and yellow peppers I topped them with grape tomatoes. So good. When they were cooked, probably 20 minutes, I took them out of the oven and topped them with a bit of freshly grated parmesan. 

Well folks, I need to get my care package ready that I am sending up island with my mom who is going to visit my wee cuz Jeannie. I wish that I was going with her. I will make my way up there soon I hope.

Have a good night friends.

Loves.
Enjoy!

PS - the entire time that I have been writing, Magnum has had WICKED gas. God.
(No pics again, not sure what is happening)

No comments: