Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday happened.

One day down, 4 more to go. This week will go by with bliss. Birthday dinner party on Wednesday, Friday morning - new appliances - woot woot - Friday, birthday dinner for our friend Tina - and the weekend will follow.

Last night Chris and I broke out the popcorn popper that I gave him for Christmas. 5 months later!!! We like to take our time around here... I ordered it from Crate and Barrel - check it out HERE. We don't have a microwave - and popcorn is probably the only thing that I would use the microwave for. Seriously, we don't have a microwave. I have never wanted one - and I don't miss not having one. My mom has wanted to buy us one for years - but I have refused. Ok, I digress. So, we haven't had a popcorn maker - so this was the perfect gift. The popcorn last night was delicious! It was fun to make. 

When I was about 14, I was using the electric popcorn maker that I had used, many times before. I must have added too much popcorn because it got slightly jammed and started a small fire. Whoa! I wasn't thinking - and threw water on it. Yikes. Thank goodness that my dad was home b/c he came running in and unplugged the popcorn maker, grabbed it, threw it in the sink and prevented a major catastrophe from happening. He always did. What I didn't include in that story was that as my dad ran in he yelled 'Jesus Christ Goddamit - what the hell are you doing child?' (honestly rarely got mad, but when he spazzed, he sure spazzed. I guess I know where I get it from). And then my sister's high school boyfriend thought it was the absolute funniest thing ever and had to run downstairs - b/c he knew my dad would not find the humour. To this day, I have never wanted to use a hot air popper. So popcorn has pretty much only existed at the movie theatre. 

So, last night was a treat. A healthy snack. And I finally got to use the popcorn bowl that my cuz Margo got me many years ago. 

I am cutting this short. I just made pork tenderloin, roasted carrot and beet salad with goat cheese and a rhubarb chutney. 

Rhubarb Chutney

2 cups of chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (I used raspberry balsamic vinegar)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
Ground ginger
Zest of an orange
Kosher and pepper

Add everything to a pot - let simmer on medium/high heat for 10 minutes. Remove it from the element and let sit for a bit and serve it up. 

Chris is almost home - time to unwind - and get ready for a new day.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

New appliances...I'm salivating here!!
I'm still using the oven with the missing front door...someday...
I don't use our microwave very much.
Take pics of the new appliances...so I can show my hubby and say, "they are getting new stuff...c'mon...please...please..."
;)