Thursday, May 28, 2009

SS.

I am working on a theory this Thursday morning at 9:02 AM. My theory is - when something bad happens, something good will happen to offset it. I thought at first that maybe it should be - when something good happens, something bad will happen. But to me that is too negative.

I have come to realize this theory as I am waiting for Roto Rooter to come by and take care of what I am calling 'SS' or for those who don't mind foul language 'Shit Storm'. It seems that our sewage pipe is plugged - which means the laundry room floor is full of water, and the downstairs tub and toilet are full of 'other' stuff. We discovered this late last night. Chris showered this morning, and the shower water filled up the ds toilet and tub. So at 4:30 this morning when Chris was ready to head out the door, I panicked b/c I had to use the loo and shower - so I headed to my mom's. Woke her. So sorry Mom. Used the loo, walked the pups, napped, showered and then came home at around 7:30. Hello Thursday morning! I am so fortunate to still be able to run to mom's when ever needed.

So that's the excitement of the SS. 

Now my good that is countering this unpleasantness is that our new appliances are coming tomorrow. We have been talking about and saving for new appliances pretty much since we moved to our house. After a month of being here, I realized that none of them matched (not sure what took me so long) - black dishwasher, beige and black stove and a white fridge. The fridge has a water and ice maker in the freezer door, which we learned isn't hooked up. It runs all day long, so I am sure it is sucking the hydro right out of the lines. All of the knobs on the stove have fallen off and the door doesn't shut right. Our new stuff is nice. I can't wait. We went with stainless steel. I am so excited. Now I want to change the countertops and paint the cupboards. Dear pipe dream, please don't wake me up.

Last night's dinner was a lot of fun. It was my friend, Stephanie's, Champagne Birthday - which means when you turn your age on your birth date, you get to celebrate with champagne. She is 27. So young :).
Beth brought the appys. Tracy brought the cake and Lily brought the champagne. I made a greek orzo salad, a green salad with goat cheese, pears and walnuts and my stand by breaded chicken with sour cream. It was a lot of fun. I had little bright coloured boxes - they look like the chinese take out boxes - and I filled them with a chocolate and a few other little bday goody bag things. 

Mixed Green Salad with Pears, Walnuts and Goat Cheese
Organic greens 
1 pear - cut in half length wise, then sliced into very thin pieces
1 cup of halved pecans - I like to have the big chunks of pecans
3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- add everything to a nice big salad bowl

Dressing
2 tbsp of white wine dijon mustard
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of sugar
Kosher and pepper
Add everything to a jar - give it a good stir and then drizzle over top of salad. Gently toss. 

This was the first time that I made this, and I really liked it. I loved the combo of the goat cheese and pecans. I am not a huge fan of pears, but they were sliced so thinly that they gave the salad a really nice flavour and consistency. I will definitely make this again.

Ok friends - I am going to look out the window for Roto Rooter. I hope that they come soon.

Not sure if I will have time to give an update later. I have a busy night - nails, then moving all of the stuff from the upstairs fridge to downstairs. 

Get out there, enjoy the day - and remember if  you have something bad happen - the good will follow.

Loves.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sharijoy said...

Just wanted to pop in and say HI... don't have time to read it all right now gotta wait for kiddies to go to bed!!! looks great thou!!