Sunday, May 31, 2009

Super Sunday.

What a day! Full of bliss. Bliss = dog walking, shopping for fresh veggies and cherry tomato baskets, a nice visit with Heidi and her great pups Libby and Cali, gardening, gardening and more gardening, and dinner with 'Backyard' Barb. 

The pots are all planted and I can't wait to see how they progress. I planted my tomato plants - 5 of them - one yellow tomato plant, one roma and three other types. I have two zucchini plants and 3 red pepper plants thanks to Heidi. I absolutely love the smell of tomato plants and LOVE fresh tomatoes. 

I planned on making ribs tonight for dinner but decided on turkey burgers instead. Ribs will be for tomorrow's night dinner for my mom's birthday. I am doing them in the slow cooker, so they will be cooking during the day and I just have to come home and take care of other goodies. I am going to make gnocchi with spinach and fresh cherry tomatoes, and then the same salad that I made the other night with pears and goat cheese. 

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow and it is also my dad's. It was always so fun to celebrate their birthdays together. I think that them having their birthdays on the same day was fate. Fate that meant that they had to be together. 

For years, probably not so much now, but from time to time, I always tried to think of what I would have got my dad for his birthday that year. I used to get him clothes or shoes, things that he didn't by himself  - so I would think of something that he would like to wear. Or a new CD, or something for his bike. I find that still, and it's been 12 years, I find myself thinking of buying him something for his birthday or Christmas. I think of how much he would have loved celebrating his birthday with my nephews and nieces - oh my. Well, tomorrow we will be thinking of him, eating cake just the way he liked to and ensure that my mom is spoiled. 

Tonight's recipe is care of Jocelyn. She read that I was going to make ribs so sent me her recipe. The recipe sounds delicious - and I can't wait to try them. Callum LOVES ribs, so I think that we will have a day in the kitchen sometime soon and make these. Jocelyn is a big part of my love of cooking. We lived together for two years and we always cooked. We were pretty good about eating healthy and had lots of fun cooking together. Thanks Joc - we will have to cook together soon - maybe this summer!!

Asian Honey-Glazed Ribs
·         2 x full racks baby back ribs, membrane left on
·         1 tbsp salt
·         1 tbsp black pepper
·         4 tbsp Chinese 5 spice
·         1 tbsp ginger, grated
·         4 x garlic cloves, minced
·         1/4 cup honey
·         1/2 cup hoisen sauce
·         1 cup fresh pineapple, skin and core removed (about 1/4 of a pineapple), or pineapple chunks, or pineapple juice
·         1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
 
Directions:
1.     Combine salt, pepper and Chinese 5 Spice. Rub meat with the mixture and let sit, if possible, for a couple of hours.
2.     To a blender, add ginger, garlic, honey, hoisen, pineapple and chili flakes. Blend. Reserve.
3.     Soak 4 cups of wood chips for an hour then place in pan or wrap with foil and puncture. Preheat grill to high, then place chips over heat until they begin to smoke (about 20 minutes)
4.     Reduce heat to 275°F and cook ribs over indirect heat for approximately 2 hours, or until the ribs have a distinct rosy glow and they pull apart effortlessly. Baste generously with the pineapple honey glaze during the last 15 minutes. Cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Ok, the week is about to start again. It's going to be a good one. Tomorrow - Jules' birthday (happy birthday eve, Mama), Wednesday - out with Lynn to a social/fundraiser at a new bag/accessories store, Thursday - out with Micki for dinner. And then Friday will be here before we know it. Love your Monday - it introduces you to Friday.

Enjoy!

No comments: