Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Two for Tuesday.

Happy Birthday Jozie Girl

Well, I was disconnected yesterday - no connection. Not sure what's up - but I'm back. 

I had lots to say yesterday and was pretty disappointed when I couldn't connect. Don't worry, I still have lots to say, just may need to save some for another day. The week has started out well. I think that the rainy weather is tiring me out - that or the fact that I can't seem to sleep past 5:20 AM - that's far too early. Geesh.

After work yesterday I took the pups for a walk - a walk that I do almost every day. We go to Cuthbert Holmes park - super easy to get to, and the dogs love it. There are always lots of other pups there and rabbits for them to chase. Yesterday when I was getting out of the car and walking towards the direction that I always go, I saw a guy that looked a bit dodgy - so I watched him and then went in the opposite direction. Then I just started thinking - how it's so important, as women, to always be aware of our surroundings and trust our instincts. Nothing happened - the fella probably was out for a stroll, but the way he was walking and looking behind him over and over - walking from the parking lot - well you just never know. I guess it's sad that we live in a place where we always have to be careful, make the right decisions, and be prepared. In the fall I was walking in the park, and took a different route than I normally do, and was followed by someone. It scared me. I ran when I went around a bend and caught up with other walkers and asked if they minded me walking with them. As soon as I started walking with someone and turned around, he went onto another path (which the average walker wouldn't do) and I didn't see him again. Since then, I am always conscience and ensuring that I am aware of my surroundings. 

So girls - do what you need to do to be safe - have a plan - and trust your instincts.

Today - no dog walk was done. Sorry dogs. But, they had bits out here and there - and they have been spoiled with a nice juicy treat. BECAUSE today is Jozie's birthday!!! Jozie is 6 today. We'll celebrate with a DQ cone. We love our little girl pup.

We also brought home a little something for us today. We have just bought a new little Honda Fit Sport. Yay! Chris' little Honda, 23 years old, was starting to show her age, so we thought it was time to look for something new. 2 Saturdays we were just looking - and found a great deal. We are going to give our old Honda to Miles - and it should be in good shape for another year - it's a safe car so he will be able to take his family out and run errands with them. I am thinking of calling her 'Newonda' - as in 'New Honda'. 


Tonight's dinner - was one of my faves. Easiest, quickest and most delicious. No carbs, just veggies and protein. Give it a try - you'll love it. Oh, and remember, switch it up with veggies you love if you're not a fan of what I have used.

Warm Spinach Salad with chicken and feta cheese

I made this recipe for Chris and I - so lots of salad for two people

2/3 of a cello bag of spinach
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 large yellow and orange pepper - or two small - cut in half
6 large mushrooms - cut into this slices
20 cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup feta cheese - goat cheese would be so good in this too - with goat cheese add walnuts or pecans

Dressing:
2 tbsp dijon white wine mustard
1 tbsp raspberry white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
Kosher and pepper
*If you want to add fresh or dried herbs - go with it

Pre-heat the oven to 425
Pat chicken dry, lightly spray with olive oil and a small pinch of kosher and pepper. I have a pump that I use and just fill it with olive oil, so you use much less than if you drizzle the oil. Bake the chicken for about 35-40 mins.

On a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the peppers skin side down, then place mushrooms and tomatoes. Lightly spray the tomatoes and mushrooms with the olive oil. Put in the oven and roast for about 15 minutes. 

For the dressing:
To the dijon mustard add the vinegars and give it a good stir, then slowly add the olive oil and continue to stir so that it all incorporated and silky smooth. If you find the dressing a little too bitter, you can add a pinch of sugar and it will just take a bit of the 'zing' away. Oh and as always give a couple of pinches of the Kosh and pepper. 

In a nice large bowl - add the spinach and then the feta. Add the dressing and give it a good toss. Then after you have chopped your peppers into thin slices, add those along with the tomatoes and mushrooms and your thinly sliced chicken - and give it another gentle toss. The warm with the crispness of the spinach and the feta that has softened is amazing. Sigh. So lovely.


Time to get some stuff done - thinking about buying these SHOES (I found them on another site that I love) - they seem fun. 

I am off to unwind - spend some time with Kung Fu Chris and soak in my lovely life.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: