This makes about 5 cups.
1 cup ketchup
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup cooking molasses
2 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
In a large pot over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low (not minimum - probably three out of ten), and simmer for 20-30 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary.
1. What is your favourite meal to eat? To cook? to eat: my mother's lasagna. To cook: these days, anything in the slow cooker. Man I love that bitch. Also, anything with my spicy peanut sauce.
2. If you could have dinner with anyone - anyone at all - who would it be? Joss Whedon.
3. What is your most memorable meal? when I was 9 my parents dragged me to a Greek restaurant (they had to bribe me with promises of a bellydancer). I was sure I would HATE Greek food, and by the end of the night was eating lamb and squid.
4. Lemons or limes? Lemons. I like the slightly more unusual, sweet flavour of limes, but you can't go wrong with lemon in basically anything. I want a lemon-bar recipe that isn't too sweet.
5. Favourite kitchen utensil or appliance? sloowwwwww cooooookkkkeeeerrrrrr