Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blindsided.

Cold. I have a cold. Totally was not expecting it or felt it coming on whatsoever. Damn. I know it could be worse - it's a cold that will clear up in a couple of days - but damn. I feel wiped out. I actually missed work today - just couldn't make it in. I had a 3 hour nap at 9 this morning. The rest of the day consisted of staring at the tube, a quick dog walk and a trip to the video store. I feel like a rebel, watching videos during the day. Crazy. Seriously, it's something I never do. I just watched New In Town and have Confessions of a Shopaholic for this evening. 

Chris is at Megadeath tonight. ROCK ON. He was very excited about the concert. Very. He and some buddies are making the trek, and they were all looking forward to it. Not really my style of music - but love that he is going. 

Last night I was very busy. I had an appt after work, then walked the pups, then cleaned out the truck completely, then took it to the car wash, then baked cookies for Chris to take and then made dinner. Breathe. It was a busy night - that and a cold hit me hard.

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies
This is the recipe that I used last night to bake Chris' cookies. I love chocolate chip cookies. LOVE them. I remember as a kid, I would always make the batter, then go to bed and have my mom bake them when she got home from wherever she was. Nice kid. Thanks for always baking them mom. 

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar (I often omit this)
1/2 cup butter
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour - I love to use whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Mix sugars with butter. I find that if I use my mixer that the cookies are too flat when they bake. I am not a baker - so not really sure why this happens - so I try to just mix them with a good old fashioned wooden spoon. Add the egg and the vanilla and give it another good stir. Mix your flour and soda and then add to the wet mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.  This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies.

If you don't have chocolate chips - adding chunks of chocolate chopped up, is also a nice treat. 

I have a couple of things that I want to work on this summer - and one of them is improving my baking skills - mastering recipes and using low fat, healthy options. I was pretty excited about the muffins these past couple of times and not having to add sugar. So that is one of my goals. If you have any tips or treats that you would like to share to help me - please pass this on. I would really appreciate it.

OD on OJ - cold season is among us.

Enjoy! 

No comments: