Monday, June 22, 2009

Good friend - so blessed.



My lovely friend Jocelyn, came through and sent me a favourite picture that she has of my dad. I remember this day - I used to love it when Brenna and Connor were hanging out together - and to capture my dad cuddling both of them - is so good. He loved having little ones around. It's hard to believe that these two little ones are 14 - almost 15.  Connor was blessed to have had such a close relationship with his 'Baba' and I will forever remember their bond.

I love so much about this picture. Connor's tshirt - I bought that for him and loved the bright colours. Jocelyn's truck in the background - we had lots of fun cruises in that truck. The big tree in the back that our neighbour friend named Tiffany - and the bird cage I added that fed many of the birds. And the large window, a huge window to the world - always action on the street. Sweet Brenns in her lovely little dress. And my dad - in all of his layers - full of gentle hugs and smiles. 

Thank you Jocelyn - this sincerely made my day.  Jocelyn is the next guest Chef - stay tuned - I have some very good recipes of hers to post - and can't wait to give them a try.

Tonight I made a batch of strawberry muffins. I am not much of a baker, but I am pretty excited about how these turned out. I didn't add any sugar, which I am excited about. I needed to use a little more oil than my last muffin recipe - so that is something that I will have to experiment with.

Rustic Strawberry Muffins

2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
2 cups cut strawberries
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl, add coconut. Add strawberries and give it a gentle stir. Add oil and apple sauce and stir gently. I used large muffin tins, and had enough batter to add to 10 of the cups. I added a very small amount of vegetable oil to a paper towel and rubbed them on each of the tins, so that I didn't need to use paper cups. 



Bake at 350 for 23 minutes.  Let them cool and remove them from the tins. I think that the sweetness is just right - and the hint of coconut is a delicious touch. 

I hope that you all enjoyed your day. 

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Astonished!! To open up your blog and see dad there, a few tears, what did you expect.Love ya
Mom

Cheryl said...

Yay Mom!! Your comment worked. I know - it's strange seeing him there, but I love that he is a part of it.

rashmi said...

Luv luv the pic of your dad n the babes...such a gentle soul he was...