Friday, June 26, 2009

Green is my favourite colour.

I love this pic - Basil from the beautiful plant my mom brought me. Thanks Mom!

It's here - Friday! Sigh. SIGH. Sigh of relief! I am thinking positive thoughts so that I can rid this cold. It's not so pleasant right now. But I am no longer having to leave kleenex up my nostrils for long periods of time - that's got to be a good sign! Sorry if TMI.

Yesterday - I ended up at home again - did a bunch of nada. Dog walk, read a bit of my book (I'm reading "My Sister's Keeper"), prepped a little dinner and watched a movie with my love. Chris had a great time at Megadeath. So funny.

Dinner last night was easy - cooked not the way I intended, but it turned out great. We ran out of propane (isn't that the way it always works?), so it was cooked in the oven. 

My Aunt Barb is an amazing cook. I like to think that I can aspire one day to be as good of a cook as she is. We talk 'cooking' very often and pass recipes back and forth with one another. I think that we have very similar cooking styles - we think of something, have a main ingredient, and then go with whatever else we have to compliment it. We always talk about doing a cooking weekend, the two of us, just cooking what we love and trying new recipes. I have faith that it will happen.

My dinner last night was inspired by a conversation with Babs on cooking chicken. I love how this turned out and am excited to try it on the grill next time.

Soy Lime Chicken
*I made this recipe for two chicken breasts - but I think that the marinade would be enough for four pieces. Oh - and I am very excited to report that I did the measurements when making dinner - I never do that - so I was quite proud of myself. 

2-4 chicken breasts - bone in
1/2 cup soy sauce 
2 tbsp brown sugar
Juice of half a lime
2 cloves of garlic - minced

In a bowl mix all of these ingredients. Add your chicken to a ziploc bag and pour the marinade over top. Let the chicken marinade for at least 4 hours and overnight if possible. 

If you are grilling - place your chicken on the grill - skin side down first. If you are baking in the oven, bake at 425 - for 40 mins. For both methods, when the chicken is starting to brown nicely (grill turn it over after about 10 mins), heat up the marinade in a saucepan and add 2 tbsp of honey and the other half of the lime. Heat over medium/high heat until the sauce is heated through, and start basting  your chicken breasts. The chicken will brown so beautifully and wil be so incredibly moist. 

Chris rated this a 5!

I am going to try this again with thighs and legs - and I'll tell you how it turns out.

I also did something fun with brussel sprouts. I bought a bag of tiny brussel sprouts at the Root Cellar. They were so fresh and I wanted to do something different. 

Roasted Brussel Sprout Skewers


2 -3 cups of small brussel sprouts
Olive oil 
Kosher and Pepper
Skewers

Before you start, soak your wooden skewers in water for about a 1/2 hour to avoid burning. Steam the brussels for about 3 minutes. Drain them and give them a quick rinse so that they aren't too hot, so you can work with them. Add 8 brussel sprouts to each skewer. On a flat plate, drizzle olive oil over top and rub them gently and then sprinkle with kosher and pepper. Place on your grill and roast them until they start to brown beautifully. And that's it! They are so delicious and flavourful. If you don't have a grill - roast them in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes.

I also made baked tomatoes. They were quite delicious but didn't look as good. So I will try them again and post.

Incredible Flax-Multigrain pitas - you can pick them up at Costco. They are great for everything.

I don't have a bunch planned for the weekend. Plan on taking it slow and easy. I have a pedicure booked for tomorrow - there's a new place not to far from home - an in and out place - so it should be done quickly. Then a stag tomorrow night at a friend's house - thankfully it's not out at a club somewhere. Can't do that sort of thing again :) Sunday - hopefully it will be a day of lounging on the lounger with my book.

I hope that you all enjoy the weekend - they only come every 5 days - so treat yourself.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
The picture of Basil loks great, I am going to try that marinade next time I have chicken.
Love ya Mom

Jenny said...

Sounds like a great dinner...except for the brussel sprouts.LOL...I can't handle brussel sprouts,but I will keep it in mind for when I make them for Scott(who loves them).
I haven't been in a club for a bazillion years...LOL...and couldn't be happier about it!
Have a great weekend.