Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Thoughts.

To all of the lovely dads. 

Happy Father’s Day

There is a song that my dad and I used to always sing together - Willy Nelson and Ray Charles "Seven Spanish Angels".

There were seven spanish angels
At the alter of the sun
They were praying for their lovers 
In the valley of the gun
When the battle stopped and the smoke cleared
There was thunder from the throne
And seven spanish angels took another angel home

My dad loved music. LOVED IT. Often he would have the music blaring, with his headphones on, but it would still be coming through loudly from the speakers. We were blessed with country, folk, irish, scottish, rock - a bunch of everything. I thought I would share just one of the many songs that he would play - I memorized the words and would sing it at the top of my lungs for him. Just wondering now if he wanted me to zip it - so that he could listen to the music. 

I feel that I was truly blessed to have inherited his love for music. Just one of many things. I love to sing - but in the comfort of my own house. 

I tried to scan some pictures so that I could post a picture of my dad for my blog. The scanner is not cooperating - so unfortunately I don't have any pictures. I then had a bit of a 'moment' and told Chris that we don't have nearly enough pictures of him around the house. I have to fix that. Although I can see my dad's face at any time I need to, I sometimes would like to just see him looking back at me. 

I feel like I should share amazing stories about my dad today - but I think that instead of just talking about them on Father's Day - I need to share them always. Share them as I remember them. 

Happy Father's Day to Chris today as well. He is a great dad. He sadly isn't a part of his son's life right now - but hopefully faith will change - and his son will return to us someday soon.

Today was a good day. It started out with a nice dog walk - which finished up - not so good. Dang Jozie rolled in something. A short bath was needed when we got home. Then Jules and I did our weekly shop at the Root Cellar - we love that place. Then home - did some dinner prep - and then had a wee nap out on the lounger. Not sure that I actually napped - but it was nice lying out in the sun.

Miles, Jessica and baby Brooklyn didn't end up coming for dins, Brooklyn is still too sick, poor little thing.

We still had family over for dins and it was quite a good feast.


On the menu:

Grilled Quesadillas with Salsa
Roasted pepper salad with goat cheese
Roasted baby carrots
Twice baked potatoes
Lemon rosemary chicken
Flank steak - click here for the recipe
Creamcheese pie with strawberry sauce - click here for the recipe

Grilled Quesadillas with Salsa  
These are the easiest appetizers - ever. Seriously give them a try.


6 quesadillas - the larger ones are better and any kind are good - spinach, whole wheat, etc.
1/2 pack of light cream cheese
Havarti cheese - thinly sliced 4 pieces per wrap

Lightly spread cream cheese on each wrap. Place 4 pieces of havarti on half of the quesadilla - and fold in half. Grill on the barbeque - 4-8 minutes depending on how hot your grill is. Just keep an eye on them - they will start to show nice grill marks.
Cut each quesadilla into 4 and serve with salsa.

These were a 5 tonight!



Twice Baked Potatoes  
6 baker potatoes
1/3 cup butter - melted
1/4 cup chives
Chicken stock
Kosher salt and pepper
1 cup shredded cheese

Bake potatoes at 400 for 55 minutes. Don't forget to poke them with a fork a couple of times. 
Once they are baked - let them cool. Usually I don't have time to let them cool - but it is so much easier when you do that. Scoop out the potato from the skin leaving a thin layer to ensure that the skins are thick enough to keep skins whole.

Mash the potatoes with the melted butter, and the chives. With beaters whip the potatoes and add the chicken stock. If you want them a little creamier add a little cream. Season with kosher and pepper. Fill each of the potato skins with the potatoes and place them in a baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake in a 425 oven for  20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. 

These turned out really well, and went lovely with dinner.

Not only is it Father's Day today, and the first day of summer, it's also our Magnum's birthday! 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGNUM. 

I am wishing all of the fathers a Happy Father's Day - and hoping that you all had a great weekend. It was a quick one - let's hope that the week goes as by as fast as the weekend.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Cheryl,
The dinner was lovely last night, you sure don't get your adventurous cooking skills from me.. Yes, yesterday was a day to remember dad's, I just remember, among alot of things, how much my dad loved your dad, as we all did. I've got lots of pictures of you and your dad. come and get them. I love you.
Mom