Saturday, June 20, 2009

The HIP!!!

Just home - ears ringing, 'Courage - my word', 'I've been meaning to call you', 'When the dream ends and the phone rings' all on my mind... So many awesome songs. Gord Downie is such an amazing performer. Chris and I went with Tracy and Jonathon - we had such a good time.

I had a busy day - mostly cleaning. A little shopping - a nap - and the concert. Tomorrow is Father's Day. I miss my dad - but will have many happy thoughts about him - like all days. We are having a BBQ with family - and will enjoy the day.  I have a few things planned for the menu, but one thing that I am going to try as a first is Flank Steak. I will tell you how it turns out. 

Flank Steak Sims Style 
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mustard
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1 1/2-pound) beef flank steak
DIRECTIONS
1.    In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add flank steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2.    Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145 degrees F; medium, 160 degrees F; well-done, 170 degrees F). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. 


I will leave you with the lyrics to Fiddler's Green. Mr. Downie said that they never perform this song live because it is too difficult for them as it is extremely emotional - I just checked online and it is about his young nephew who died of a heart problems when he was young. It's a lovely song - too bad it's a sad one.

Fiddler's Green
September Seventeen
For a girl I know, it's Mother's Day
Her son has gone alee
And that's where he will stay
Wind on the weathervane
Tearing blue eyes sailor-mean
As Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a boy in Fiddler's Green

His tiny knotted heart
Well I guess it never worked to good
The timber tore apart
And the water gorged the wood
You can hear her whispered prayer
For men at masts that always lean
That the same wind that moves her hair
Moves her boy through Fiddler's Green

Oh, nothing's changed anyway
Oh, nothing's changed anyway
Oh, anytime today

He doesn't know a soul
And there's nowhere that he's really been
But he won't travel long alone
No, not in Fiddler's Green
Balloons all filled with rain
As children's eyes turn sleepy-mean
And Falstaff sings a sorrowful refrain
For a boy in Fiddler's Green

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love that song...made me cry...as per usual!!LOL
Wishing you a wonderful Father's Day full of good memories of your dad, and lots of laughter.
Big hugs...