Monday, June 15, 2009

LaLa Land


Freshly picked Strawberries - compliments of L & A

That's where I've been. Well not really - but it's been a nice couple of relaxing days - and at the end of the day when I typically write - I did other things. Nothing too exciting - read, hung with Chris, relaxed on the lounger.

This weekend was full of good things. Friday night Chris and I went down to Red Fish Blue Fish for dinner. Enjoyed the most amazing evening right on the water and the most delicious meal. That was my 3rd time and Chris' first - and we'll definitely go back again.

Tempura cod Tacones with Coleslaw

Our Dinner View

Saturday - gardening/yard work frenzy in the morning. The yard turned out looking really great - there were a few 'domestics*' along the way - but in the end - it was well worth it. *Tiffs.

Then in the afternoon - our new BBQ was delivered. It was a very early birthday present from my mom for both Chris and my birthday. It's grand - and is safe to start :) (my biggest complaint about our old one). Our old BBQ was 8 years old we figured, and was our first big purchase together. 

Chris' brother Larry (aka Lawrence - it's what he would like us to call him) came for dinner with his girlfriend Ayumi. 

On the menu:

Mini turkey burgers with havarti cheese
Chicken souvlaki with homemade tzatziki 
Steak
Greek salad
French bread
Dessert - Angel food cake with chocolate mousse and fresh blueberries and raspberries

Sunday was a little more low key - dog walk, groceries (again) a little gardening, vet appt (both pups are very healthy) and dinner with my sister and the boys.

On the menu:

Chicken wings
Burgers 
Greek salad

Easy low key dinners and a ton of leftovers.

As promised here is the Cheesecake pie with Rhubarb Sauce that I made last week. So delicious - and very easy. I would  definitely give it a try.



Cheesecake pie with Rhubarb Sauce

1-3/4 cups crushed oatmeal cookies

3 tbsp  unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

1-1/2 pkgs (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup sour cream

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 tsp grated orange rind (I used quite a bit more – almost a full large orange)

Sauce:

4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb

1 cup granulated sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

2 tbsp orange juice (I used the juice from the orange that I used for the rind)

Preparation:

In bowl, stir cookies with butter; press onto bottom and up side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until firm to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool.

Filling: Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until fluffy; beat in sour cream, egg, egg yolk and orange rind. Spread in pie shell.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until shine disappears and edge is set but centre still jiggles slightly, about 30 minutes. Let cool on rack. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.

Sauce: In saucepan, stir rhubarb with sugar over medium heat until boiling and sugar melts, about 3 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with orange juice; whisk into rhubarb mixture and boil until thickened and opaque, about 1 minute. Let cool. Serve with cheesecake. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate pie and topping separately for up to 24 hours.)

Courtesy of: Canadian Living Online

This week I tend to focus on a bunch of healthy meals. I find that with the BBQ it is very easy to whip up quick and healthy meals. Chris and I both love grilled vegetables - so it gives us a great opportunity to try and stick to our meat and vegetable meals. We'll see how it goes.

Off the food topic. My motto that I thought of today - after having quite a bit of time to think about it is:
Spend time with people that want to spend time with you. And spend time with people who you want to spend time with.

Life is too short to worry about having to be someone you aren't when you are around people that don't bring out the best in you. Friends, good friends, should see you for who you are and always want the best for you - and help you find that for yourself.  My friends - I love you lots.

Good night. 

Enjoy.

C.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hmmmm I think maybe you stole MY thought for the day!

Fortunately, I love you, and will share. :)

(and GREAT NEWS - your blog is fixed)