Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yo'good'urt

Magnum carrying around his pumpkin - by the trunk - always

My mama told me there'd be days like this, my mama said there'd be days like this.  Not really sure if those were her exact words - but she meant the same thing. 'My days' like this - referring to today - was not a bad day - but a good day. Nothing exciting or overwhelmingly happened - just a good old fashioned good day. There was an extra 19 minute sleep in, a bowl full of plain yogurt with amazingly fresh and deelish strawberries, lunch with my friend Judy at work (I brought her in lunch today and we ate in her office - it was delightful), a dog walk, a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up Chris some allergy meds (they are brutal for him this year) and some flowers for me, then home where I whipped up a potato salad and some muffins. I guess you could say - pure bliss. These are the kind of days that I like to share. Simple and sweet. It's all about loving the good times - not thinking 'bout the bad times whooaaa... ha - some 80's song I'm sure that is from.

I had some leftover nugget potatoes that I knew I needed to do something with - so that they didn't stay in the basket and grow arms and legs. I like potato salad, but don't love it. I am not a huge fan of the classic potato salad with mayonnaise, eggs, radishes and just all around too much dressing. I usually try and do something different - and tonight's turned out pretty good. I think that it is a good low fat alternative to the traditional salad.

Here we go:

Creamy Dill Potato Salad Sims Style

4 cups of nugget potatoes that have been cut in half - and then boiled until you can comfortably poke them with a fork - let them cool
3 celery stalks - finely chopped
2/3 cup of plain yogurt
1/3 cup of sour cream
Lots of fresh dill - maybe 1/3 cup
Kosher salt and pepper

In a salad bowl, whisk together yogurt and sour cream. Add your dill, kosher and pepper.  Add the potatoes and gently toss them in the dressing. Then add the celery and give it another gentle toss - and that's it. 

It's so fresh and the dill is incredibly fragrant and delicious.




I have to tell you - that I am somewhat addicted to plain yogurt. I guess that it is a pretty good addiction  to have considering the many other addictions that I could have picked from. I especially love Olympic brand, but have just finished a container of Source - and it was also very good. It's a great breakfast mixed with fresh fruit. I sometimes like to add a tsp of honey - also very delicious. It is also that time of year when I get addicted to some of the incredible fruits that tend to only appear during the glorious summer months. Hello white peaches! Heaven.

My attempt at baking tonight - went quite well. I whipped these muffins up in no time - and they were not only incredibly easy - they are quite healthy too.  These will be a good addition to my yogurt addiction.

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins              

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup mashed bananas

1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup old fashion oatmeal (optional)

1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and sugar together in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix the banana, applesauce, and oil.

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Spray your muffin pan with non-stick spray.

Put enough batter to fill your muffin pan 3/4 of the way.

Bake for 18-20 minutes

I hope you all had a day filled with bliss. Tomorrow for me will be even better today. My wonderful friend Tracy returns to work from her Greece extravaganza. I have missed her so.  As well, Beth and I are heading to Costco - I have promised her that I will push her in the cart. :)

Enjoy!

C.

2 comments:

Beth said...

HELLO, we both rule so much - you made your muffins, and I made mine too! *high-five*.

Mine turned out a bit small/dense, but delicious and quite filling. I DID manage to eat three though - along with a third of a big bar of dark chocolate - for dinner.

Huh.

Well, I still consider today a success. :)

Love you, can't wait til tomorrow eve!

Anonymous said...

I just got caught up on reading your blog and had to comment on what I am grateful for.
I am grateful to be alive, I am grateful to have a loving family who I love very much. I am grateful for my great grandchildren who help to make my life complete. I am so grateful for my son, and daughters that I love so much and who I could not live without. I am grateful for my friends, theymake me feel good.