Thursday, July 16, 2009

Short and sweet

My oh my, where does the time go when you're having fun. Fun! I am really enjoying what this summer is offering me, I have to tell ya. Since coming home, I am not even sure what is happening after work - but before I know it, it's 8:50 PM and I am just sitting down to dinner with Chris. I'm not complaining b/c my days are full - and life is good.

We have just came home from a very long walk through the fields of Tillicum - we have my sister's dog for the weekend, Hattrick, and she is a doll. We tired our dog tribe out - and hopefully there will be no restlessness tonight - and just good old fashioned sleeping.

I had a lovely long chat with my brother tonight. I probably don't mention him too much, but he is a great brother. I don't see him or talk to him nearly as much as I should, but that is going to change. After returning from Summerland, I have a new mission, and I am going to make it happen. I am not going to go into detail - but I have made a pledge to myself, and I will follow through*. Follow through = better than my running career. Oh god - stress of not running just flashed through my head. Sigh. 


Hugh and Haraya - she looks so much like him

Hugh driving - and me tubing - a blast

I have been 'semi' cooking lately. The night before last I bought a roasted chicken, tztiaki, pita and then made a delicious salad with my abundance of cherry tomatoes. My 'farm' is producing a lot of them right now - and this makes us very happy. Last night, Chris bbq'd some fresh, wild salmon that I picked up and we had it with more tztiaki (ok, I know that I am spelling that wrong, but I don't have the energy to do a spell check) and more tomato salad.  Tonight I made a homemade pasta salad (which I will have to post the pic of tomorrow night) - and it was quite lovely.

Cherry tomato salad Summer Style

2-3 cups of cherry tomatoes - cut in half 
8-10 leaves of fresh basil - coarsely chopped
Juice of a quarter of a naval orange
Kosher salt and pepper
Drizzle of olive oil

That's it. Mix it all together and you have the most refreshing, flavourful salad. I also add feta sometimes, and if I do, I omit the kosher salt. Feta has enough salt already in it. I don't have a pic of it, but will take one b/c I will definitely make it again and post.

Chris rated this a 5!!


Macaroni salad Summer Style    
Whole wheat macaroni - cook how much you think that you will need. I always cook way too much.
2 small zucchini cut in quarters and then thinly sliced
1 red, yellow and orange pepper chopped into small pieces
3 green onions thinly chopped
Kosher salt and pepper

Dressing:
1/4 cup of tztiaki (I had this leftover) if you don't have this on hand, add more yogurt and fresh dill
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt
Dried oregano
Mix all of the ingredients and keep cool.

Boil your pasta and let cool. I drain then rinse and then put in the fridge until it is cooled. Add all of your vegetables into your large salad bowl and sprinkle your kosher salt and pepper.  Add your dressing to the vegetables and give it a good toss. Start adding the cooled macaroni 2 - 3 cups at a time to ensure that they are evenly coated. 

And that's it. Chris rated this a definite 5!!

Ok, posting some recipes have relieved some stress. Sigh.

We have an action packed weekend around here. Party tomorrow night, Moss Street Paint-In to see my lovely and talented friend - Tracy's - artwork, dinner with some friends, shopping for something to wear to a wedding, dog walks, farm work (aka yard work), and more and more things that will come up. I have a nail appt. tomorrow and I think that I am going to take my fancy nails off for a bit and go commando. I have ugly nails, so I need to try and treat them well. I also have Monique coming to spend a couple of hours sorting our house. Why can't I keep up with it??? I guess it's b/c all I want to do is be outside.

Ok friends - good weekend to all. I hope that you enjoy the weather, it's supposed to be warm. 

Enjoy!

C.

No comments: