Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sweet, Sweet Sunday

Sweet. Sweet. Sunday.

Hatty - she found 'her' bed in the spare room. 

Up early, watering the crop*, a long dog walk, little laundry and some shopping. 

*Crop = my pots, tomatoes, blueberry bushes and squash. Whatever - I like to pretend. :)

Shopping - was NOT successful in the 'dress for a wedding' area. I did manage to pick up a nice pair of dress pants for Chris. And then a new pair of shoes, shorts and a couple of tops for myself. Everything was on sale - except Chris' pants. There were some really great sales on today. I am not going to stress about the wedding - yet. Friday night will probably be my power shop for something to wear. BuH!

Dinner tonight was quick and easy. I was fortunate enough to have a leftover pork tenderloin - so pork tenderloin quesadillas with potato salad was on the menu.

Pork tenderloin Quesadillas Sims Style          
                                                                                
                  
1 medium pork tenderloin - see last night's recipe here
1 roasted red pepper - I roasted this as I heated up the tenderloin in aluminum foil on the grill - then sliced into thin strips
Roasted red pepper cream cheese
1 cup cherry tomatoes - three slices per tomato
1 cup shredded cheese - I used cheddar
4 whole wheat wraps

Once your pepper and tenderloin are heated and prepared (as above) - start prepping your quesadillas. Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese on each of the wraps. To half of the wrap add a the thinly sliced tenderloin to each wrap. Add the peppers and then the cherry tomatoes, and then top each of the wraps with the cheese. Fold in half. Grill on low heat for about 3 minutes each side. 


I served these up with low fat sour cream - and they were delicious.  We had Potato Salad - to accompany the quesadillas and it was a great dinner. Out on the deck, sun setting, beautiful summer night - just the way I like it.

I finally did something with the cherries that we brought home with us. We ate A LOT  of them - but I still had quite a few of them left. So... I froze them - just as is - and we'll see how that works. I am sure that I will be able to pit them after they thaw and try making something with them then. Someone told me that they are delicious eating them frozen. I secretly love it when I do stuff with fruit or veggies - I feel really 'domestic like'  - but really all that I ever do is freeze it or make fresh tomato sauce. 

I did manage to make something with my blueberries. Muffins.  I love blueberries. I think that they are probably my favourite fruit. I made my grandma's blueberry pie recipe last week, and I can remember her making it as a child - that may be one of the reasons why I love them so much.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
                                                                      
     
1 egg
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 vegetable oil
1 cup of honey
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups of blueberries

Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly spray or butter your muffin tins - or use paper liners. I use the smallest amount of butter on mine.  Mix the first 3 ingredients and then add your honey and stir thoroughly. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Add blueberries and gently incorporate them into the dough.  Fill your tins and place a couple of  blueberries on each muffin. Bake for 18 minutes.

I use large tins - so the recipe only made six muffins. Small tins - it would have made 12.

These will be breakfast for the next couple of days for us. Next time I will add lemon juice and some lemon zest. 

I think that I found one of my worst chores - making the bed. I struggle with the duvet every time. Tonight when I was battling with the bed - I thought about Martha Stewart and how I could just see her doing a show on how to make your bed just like a top hotel quality. Using terms like 'efficient - perfect - best mattress - only 18000 thread count sheets - 10.5 inches'. BUH! And then I pictured myself having to do a 'how-to' show on making a bed - and how there would be down comforter feathers flying everywhere, mascara running, and a lot of swearing. In the end there is nothing better then freshly cleaned sheets. Good sleeps tonight, I hope.

I am wishing all the best for those poor soles in West Bank - I am wishing for a huge rain fall for them.

That's it for me for tonight. Getting psyched up for another work week. I wish you a well week. I will be here again tomorrow :)~

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I tried freezing my cherries last year but it didn't work. when I thawed them they were mush.
I have to give you that healthy blueberry bran muffin recipe...divine..no sugar...stevia and maple sugar flakes. They have become a staple in our household.
I think I'll make chicken quesadillas for supper tomorrow...
:)