Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sweet summer nights.

It's late, I am out on my deck, weathering the cool, summer evening, and loving it. I like to think of our deck in the summer as another room of our house. I spend a lot of time out here. Chris does in spurts - but not nearly as much as I do. 

Last night we had our Annual Adult Kung Fu student party. It was a great one. I always look forward to having it. I get to meet the new people and spend time with the people that we have known for years. We prepared a feast - pretty much the same menu that I did for the kids party. Relatively low maintenance, but lots of flavour. The fig and goat cheese pizza with pesto - is a huge hit. If anyone is wanting to do something easy but make it look like you were slaving away - you have to try it.

I spent a good chunk of the night in the kitchen. I wasn't as prepared as I normally am b/c I had to work during the day, but I found that people kept coming up individually to chat so I couldn't get down to where all the action was. I'm not complaining though - b/c it's always fun to have company in the kitchen.  Here is one pic of the night - Chris showing off his '1980 called they want their outfit back'. 



I got him a pair of Metallica Converse runners - so he was sporting them and had to bring out his leather jacket from many moons ago. 

I hadn't planned anything for dessert, and although Chris thought that was ok, it was stressing me out. I had a few peaches and nectarines in the fridge - so I had Chris run to the store and pick me up a few more and I made, seriously, the easiest dessert and it turned out delicious. So delicious, that I made it tonight and had both the Barbs over. 

Baked summer fruit Sims Style

4 large peaches - cut in half remove the pit, and then slice each half into slices and then slice those in half  
4 large nectarines - cut the same way
2 cups of blueberries
1/4 cup of sugar - or honey

Place all of the fruit into a baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar on top and gently stir. Place in a 375 oven and bake for 45 minutes. At about 30 minutes - give it a gentle stir so that the fruit is covered with all of the juices.

And that's it!!! Serve warm with ice cream or just have it by itself.


I love to cook - it's probably obvious - but for some reason today - more than normal - I really feel that I need to find something that I can do to enjoy my passion and make a career out of it. I am struggling - trying to think of ways that I can incorporate cooking into my career, make a living and LOVE what I am doing. I know that I don't want to have a restaurant - that is far to daunting for me - but maybe it's teaching cooking classes, or catering, or doing lunches for businesses - I just don't know. I need a sign. I think that deep down, it freaks me out beyond belief. I worry that teaching someone to cook something or cooking something for someone that they will say 'uh ya, that's easy, I already know how to do that'. I guess I just have to get over that. I admire those people that change their lives so that they can do what they LOVE. I want to be that person - I want to be proud of myself and admire myself for doing it. Run - what am I waiting for!!!!! Sigh.

Ok back to reality (what is reality though) - I take it back, I don't like that saying. Back to my day job...

I had a pretty lazy day today - quite a bit of clean up and just lazed around. It was marvelous. I almost don't want to go in right now - it's a lovely evening.  Here are a few pics of our outdoor space on this lovely evening. A little blurry, I have to work on that :)





I hope you have all enjoyed your weekend so far.

Enjoy!

C.

No comments: