Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tomato love.

I have said before that I love tomatoes - but summer tomatoes are my fave. Summer tomatoes from my garden are at the very top of my fave list.  My tomatoes are coming along really well - they are still quite green - except for my yellow tomato plant - and they are looking lovely. 

I bought a package of tomatoes at the Root Cellar this weekend. They were wrapped - I guess they couldn't be sold separately b/c they were a little ripe. Anyways - I made a batch of homemade tomato sauce. I tried this a couple of years ago - didn't really know what I was doing, but had a bunch of tomatoes that I needed to do something with. I am not exaggerating when I say that this tomato sauce, is one of the most flavourable, freshest, tasty things that I have discovered. 

This summer I really want to try and can a bunch of it - I have never canned before and have always wanted to. So, that is something that I am going to give a try.

Tomato Sauce

8-10 ripe tomatoes - cut in half
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked pepper
4-5 cloves of garlic - roasted (see below)

Pre-heat oven to 300. In a baking dish - place tomatoes cut side up - in a single layer. Drizzle generously with good olive oil. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, for 2.5 - 3 hours. 

Before placing the tomatoes into the food processor, add your roasted garlic and give it a few pulses. Once the garlic is chopped, add the tomatoes. Puree until the tomatoes become nice and smooth. 

And that's it!!!!  You can add the sauce to a saucepan, heat it up - add any vegetables that you love, or just serve it as is.  Next time, I am going to grab a bunch of fresh oregano from 'Backyard Barb's' garden.






Tonight's dinner - tomato sauce with chicken breast, yellow and orange pepper and yellow summer squash.

Roasted garlic
Place garlic cloves in skins on a small amount of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and add a bit kosher salt. Wrap the garlic tightly - and bake in the oven. Typically 15 mins in a 375 oven. If you are doing it with the tomatoes, just cook it for a bit longer. Remove the garlic from the aluminum and just peel with the skin off - it pretty much slides out of the skin. You can squish it with side of a knife if you don't want to add it to a food processor. 

I hope that you can give this a try - it is divine.


Brother love.
Tomorrow we are taking Ogre to the Doc - his arm or shoulder hasn't healed. Think positive thoughts that it's something that can be healed quickly - and that the Vet doesn't pressure Chris to go for the $5000 vet visit. Yipes.

Ok friends - off to spend some time with Christoff.

Enjoy!

No comments: