Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Whoa Wednesday. Giddy up.

Well Miss Wednesday - thank you for being kind to all. It was a day to get things done, enjoy the summer fresh air, make some comfort food and take a little time to put the feet up and relax.

I mentioned being a little down yesterday - I am feeling better today. I feel really blessed to have people in my life that give me insight, are encouraging, listen and remind me that whatever I am going through there are always options and other ways to look at things. For me yesterday, there was another reminder that I want to be a mom. I struggle not only with the fact that I want to have a baby so badly, but also that I am so sensitive to any discussion surrounding it. I don't want to get into it - I just wish that I could have control of this, and that it would just happen. Things could be worse - but they aren't. They're good.

Alright - let's switch it up and talk about happy things. Food! FOOD!

Tonight's dinner was a healthy one - quick and super easy. From start to finish, it probably took 30 minutes - 10 minutes prep - 20 minutes to bake. If you wanted it to be even faster, you could avoid the baking part of it.

Baked Chicken and Pepper Quesadilla Wraps 

1 onion - chopped
4 boneless skinless breasts - cut in to thin strips
3 peppers - cut into thin strips and then halved
Taco seasoning - I have an all natural one that I got from the Gourmet Warehouse - I like to use it  over the taco seasoning that you can buy at the grocery store because it is full of sodium. I think that a good mix would be - chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika and a bit of kosh and pepper. 
Juice of half a lime
6 wraps - I used whole grain tortilla wraps with flax
1 to 1  1/2 cup of shredded cheese - how cheesy do you like it
1/2 cup of salsa

Pre-heat oven to 375. 
In your saute pan, add a small splash of olive oil and saute your onion until it is softened and translucent. Add chicken and top with your seasoning; add how much you like - if you like it spicy add lots. Cook for about 5 minutes and then add your peppers. Cook for another 7 minutes. Once your chicken is cooked and peppers are slightly softened, you're done. Add your chicken and peppers to the center of your tortillas - fold in the ends and wrap them tight. Place them in a row in a shallow baking dish - so they're all snug - top with salsa on all of the wraps and then top with the cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes - or until the cheese has melted. 


This is a great dish to make ahead. You can make ahead and freeze the dish. You can also freeze them individually and take them out for a quick lunch or dinner. 

I am still working out the ins and outs of my new idea. I am excited to share it.

Well that's it for me. The weekend is so close. We don't have anything planned at this point - and I'm pretty excited about that. Maybe we'll do a movie - it's been forever since I've seen one - any suggestions?

Ok - I'm off.

Enjoy! 

No comments: