Thursday, August 27, 2009

Your thoughts?

I know that some find the whole 'safe needle exchange' an important program to consider having in our communities - and feel that initiating these programs will promote safe and healthy venues for drug users to maintain their habits. I - don't feel quite the same. I feel that yes, there needs to be something to attempt to have some sort of educational center to try to inform users of the risks of using unsafe needles - but I think that these centers have to be somewhere where the population isn't negatively impacted.

So today... we found out that we are more than likely going to be impacted by a needle exchange. VIHA is proposing that the street that our Kung Fu studio is on, is looking to be the new location for the needle exchange. I am really upset about this. I am upset about a couple of things: 1. that I had to read about this in the paper and that the businesses in this area weren't first informed; 2. that there isn't a venue for businesses in the area to voice their concerns; 3. that drug addicts who have made poor/unhealthy/selfish choices are having a place that they can go to on a street where tax payers, hard working people have to be effected by there presence; and 4. we have small children attending our studio and I surely don't want them in anyway to be exposed to any of this. Sigh. I apologize if you feel differently - thankfully we are all entitled to our own opinions. I feel that those that say they are in favour of these centers - will say that until they are deeply impacted by it - i.e., it turns up on their street.

To read more, click HERE. (please do - I encourage everyone to do so - I will be voicing my concerns as much as I can about this) 

On to a more happier note - cooking. Thought about today's dinner all day.

Tonight's dinner was really good. I'm super excited about it. I bought a couple of boneless skinless turkey breasts - scallopini style a week ago and I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with them.  I decided that I was going to make stuffing and stuff them - and that's what I did and they turned out deliciously. Although they seem a little complicated - they were super easy. This is something that I will definitely make again.

The turkey breasts came in a pack of 4 pieces. They were so thin, that I used two pieces together. They didn't need to be tenderized - the hard part was already done.

Stuffed turkey breasts Sims Style

8 very thin turkey breasts

Stuffing:
3 cups of bread crumbs - I used leftover 100% whole wheat hot dog buns - I tore them into small bits - use whatever you have on hand
2 celery stalks - chopped into small pieces
1 small onion - sauteed
Poultry seasoning - maybe 2 tsps
2 tbsp of chicken stock
1 tbsp of melted butter
Kosher salt and pepper
And whatever you like to add to your stuffing. I would have liked to have added walnuts - but didn't have any. 

Mix all of the ingredients together. With your hands squeeze the bread so that it soaks up all of the stock and melted butter. 

Lay out the turkey breasts flat - in the center add about 1/2 cup of the stuffing. Tightly roll the turkey breasts to ensure the stuffing is tightly wrapped. With two toothpicks, use them to keep the meat together. 

In a pan - brown the turkey on each side - try to ensure that you do all of the sides as this will cut down the cooking time. Once they are all browned - transfer to a baking dish and bake in a 400 for about 15 minutes.

Sauce: 
In the same pan, saute a large onion that has been sliced into thin pieces. Let the onion cook in the meat juices - let the onions brown and start to caramelize. Add about 1/2 cup of stock and 2 tbsp of butter and continue to stir. The sauce becomes so flavourful and thickens as it cooks.

When the turkey is done, remove the toothpicks, top with the onion sauce and serve with cranberry sauce. 



We really enjoyed this dish. Chris rated this a 4!!!!

Well - should head off to bed and get ready for tomorrow. Why? BECAUSE IT'S FRIDAY!!! Me likes Friday's.

Good night friends - best wishes for a lovely Friday.

Enjoy!

No comments: