Saturday, September 5, 2009

The last days of summer.

Happy Long Weekend everyone. I have always found this weekend to be bittersweet. The bitter part - end of summer, and back to school. The sweet part - summer is over and fall is following, and a long weekend to celebrate a great summer. 

This weekend has started off well. Homemade blueberry scones, a dog walk and a trip to Zells to pick up some goods to try some canning this weekend. 'Try' - will be the operable word.  I have faith that it will be easy, and I have 'Behind Yard Barb' to help me out if needed. I am so excited about the notion of running downstairs, mid-winter, flinging open one of my pantry doors and having an abundance of jars of tomatoes to pick from - to add to a homemade spaghetti sauce, a homemade soup or chicken parmesan. I think that is the 'wanna-be country gal' coming out in me. 

Chris and I are going to take a drive out to some of the farms this afternoon to see if we can get some goodies.  I have heard that Sun Wing Farms is full of great vegetables. Tonight we are going to Chris' brother's and gf's for dinner. We are going to be treated to a full on Japanese feast - I am SO excited. 

Ok - just a few things to add.

Yesterday was a very long day - an '8 hour meeting' kind of long day. I had to stop off at Safeway - and I found little packs of ravioli in single serving sizes (which by the way is far too much for one person) - I picked a couple of them up and I am so happy that I did. They were great. Spinach and cheese - helped make a fast food and super easy dinner.

Spinach Ravioli with oh so fresh veggies - fast food style!
2 packs of single serving raviolis - or one large - whatever you like. 
1 yellow and green pepper - chopped into small bits
1 yellow zucchini - cut into thin rounds
12 strawberry tomatoes - or grape tomatoes - cut in half
3 cloves of garlic - minced
Parmesan - as much or as little as you like

Boil the ravioli until it is el dente. As your pasta is boiling, saute your minced garlic in a medium sized skillet - in olive oil and 1 tsp of butter (this will prevent the garlic from burning). Saute for 1 minute.  Add the peppers and the zucchini and and coat them gently in the garlic and olive oil. It's a good idea to keep the veggies in small pieces as they will cook faster. Remember this is 'fast food'. Add the tomatoes and continue to stir. Add any seasonings that you like - I only added the Verde Vinaigrette seasoning - and it was just right.


Once the pasta has finished cooking - drain. In a nice large boil, add the pasta and top with the vegetables. Give a generous topping of parmesan and toss gently. And that's it. Probably a 20 minute dish from start to finish. 
 
The colours of the vegetables are so beautiful and they remind me of summer.

I served these with smallish turkey burgers that were topped with melted goat cheese. Yumma.

For this morning - since I was up before 8, I decided to make some blueberry scones. I am so excited that I froze something like 20 bags of them. They will remind of us summer goodness all winter long.

Blueberry scones Sims Style
2 cups of flour - I usually use whole wheat - but today I used a cup of whole wheat and regular flour
4 tsp of baking powder
1/4 cup of sugar (you can omit this)
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup of butter 
1-2 cups of blueberries - frozen or fresh
1 egg - beaten
2/3 cup of milk

Mix all of your dry ingredients together. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the butter. Add the blueberries and gently stir this all together. In a separate bowl beat the egg and add the milk and stir together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir together. It will be sticky. I usually use my hands and mix it all together. Separate the batter into 12 pieces and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use a small amount of milk and brush a small amount of milk on each scone and top with a tiny sprinkle of sugar.

In a 425 oven, bake for 13-15 minutes. 


When they are ready - they will be golden, moist and the blueberries will pop in your mouth. 

Give them a try - they are easy and delicious.

Ok - need to run. I hope you all enjoy the weekend - hold on to your summer!

Enjoy!

C.

No comments: