Sunday, September 13, 2009

Love dogs.

Rant.

I know that it's not reality that everyone loves dogs. In fact, I know that there are people that don't like dogs one bit. I respect that - I don't understand it (at all) but I understand that it takes all kinds to make the world go round.  Today I took the pups out for a big walk out at Elk/Beaver Lake - we did the side opposite the highway - walked down the one side then turned around and went back - I think that it was about 7-8K. It was a great walk, beautiful weather and the pups loved it. So, I am back to dog lovers. It was really busy out there today - lots of joggers, a few dog walkers and what seemed like a lot of people that didn't like having to share the path with dogs - more so, my dogs. 

Anyways - I just found it disheartening to have people be annoyed when my two little pups would stop and watch oncoming joggers, or have one of the dogs stop quickly when being tailed by a jogger or if either of them wanted to sniff a jogger's dog running by. Sigh. One woman was running right behind Jozie and I called Jozie to move so she did and the woman jumped over her (why was she running right behind her anyways?) and she yelled 'Jesus Christ!' Oh well.

I also realized that there are some just really unhappy looking people out there. 

Rant over.

Speaking of pups - we had Heidi over for dins last night. This girl has been through so much. Her dog, Cali, had pups about 8 weeks ago. 6 pups - 2 girls and 4 boys. Cali was really sick after having the pups and had to spend quite a bit of time in the vet hospital without her pups. In the meantime, her and her husband had to ween the pups from their mama and hand feed them every 2 hours. Then, Miss Yellow, one of girls, passed away. It was so sad. And now Mr. Red has been in the vet hospital, but has returned home and is doing pretty good. It's been such a long, sad, heart-breaking and costly 8 weeks for them. She still is looking for homes for the 2 boys - I keep telling Chris that we should take one of them. He's not THAT into it.

Dinner last night was stuffed peppers with barley and vegetables - PS Barley is one of new faves - mussels and clams in a tomato white wine sauce, prawn skewers and thin slices of grilled bread. 

Chris loves the clams - I prefer the mussels so I did a mix - and Heidi likes both!

Mussels and Clams Sims Style
30 mussels - I don't know how many pounds - I got them fresh from Thrifty's - and the guy at the counter told me that the bag contained about 30
30 clams - same as above
4-5 clovers of garlic - minced
2 cups of fresh tomatoes - seeded and chopped
1/2 cup of white wine
1/2 cup of chicken stock

Rinse the mussels and clams. In a large dutch oven (something big enough to hold the shellfish) saute the garlic in 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Stir often to ensure that it doesn't burn - about two minutes. Add tomatoes, cover, stir often - for about 4 minutes. Add white wine, cover, stir continuously for another 5 minutes. Add the clams and the chicken stock - cover and let cook for 5 minutes. Then add the mussels. Gently stir, cover and cook on medium to high heat for about 10-15 minutes. When you see the shells have opened - they're all ready. Serve them in a large bowl, or in the dish that you have cooked them in. I served them with the sliced bread that I brushed with olive oil and grilled both sides on the barbeque. The broth is delicious - so ensure that the bread soaks up all of the flavourful goodness.


That's it for me - another week is about to start. I need to try and hold on to this weekend for as long as I can.

Enjoy!


No comments: