Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sundays come so fast.

It's the wrap up of a great weekend. I am always saddened on a Sunday night - when I realize that the weekend went by so fast. It was a great weekend - a little action, a little get up and go, a little lazing around and some fun cooking.

We had my mom for dinner last night and I made a huge pot of Chicken Corn Chowder and Rice Pudding for dessert. I made the chowder without any cream - so it was a healthy, light version. Very delicious.

Tonight for dinner I made a Mac & Cheese recipe from the EAT magazine - it's a very rich recipe so I tried to lighten it up a bit. It called for evaporated milk, whipping cream, half and half cream and bacon... I am sure that the recipe with all of the full creams would have been decadent and delicious, but my version was a little lighter - and was still very delicious. 

EAT Mac & Cheese

1 box of whole wheat macaroni - boiled until el dente 
12 oz can of fat free evaporated milk
1 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup of whipping cream or half and half cream
1 cup chicken stock
4 tbsp of butter
1 onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - minced
1/3 cup of flour 
2 tbsp of dijon mustard
3/4 cup parmesan cheese - grated
2 cups light marble cheddar - shredded
Kosher salt and pepper
Panko bread crumbs

In a large saucepan on low/medium heat - heat the milk, creams and chicken stock. You just want to heat the liquids - be careful not to heat it too much so that it burns - we all know how easy that can happen. In a large pot, heat the butter and add onion and then garlic. Heat for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat - once onions soften. Add the flour and whisk to ensure that the onions are coated in the flour. Pour the milk mixture to the flour/onions - slowly but all at once. Whisk continuously until the cream starts to thicken - about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the dijon mustard and parmesan cheese. Once that is all mixed in - add the shredded cheddar. Mix thoroughly. Add the macaroni to the cheese mixture and mix all of the goodness together. Season with kosher salt and pepper.

Place the mac & cheese to a large casserole dish, cover with panko bread crumbs and bake in a 350 oven for 22 minutes. 

And that's it - voila - Mac & Cheese!  So delicious. And, leftovers for tomorrow. Thank goodness.

Chris rated this a 4!

Since the Mac & Cheese was without any vegetables, I did a quick stir fry. I added 1 tbsp of olive oil in my cast iron pan, and then added a red and yellow pepper, sliced mushrooms and a full bunch of spinach. And about a minute before serving I added some very tiny cherry tomatoes fresh from the tomato plants - all seasoned with a little verde vinaigrette. It was a great side dish and made the Mac & Cheese dinner a little more healthy.

Right now - I am trying to cook hash browns in my oven - for tomorrow's breakfast at work. I'm cooking breakfast for my department - hopefully I will have help in the AM. I have only bought those hash browns once or twice before - and haven't tried doing them in the oven. So far so good.

Alright - I am hoping that the coming week goes by fast - b/c there is a lovely long weekend just around the corner. Oh how I love a long weekend. We are having Thanksgiving at ours this Sunday. I am planning the menu now. 

I hope you all have a great week. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am NOT in a bad mood. Your food sounds delicious. One day I will cook you dinner. Sometime when you can fit it into your busy schedule. (that's what she said)